Secure Your Load Day
Published 12:24 pm Monday, June 6, 2022
In 2020, 715 deaths, 16,595 injuries, and 82,479 property damage crashes occurred in the United States due to unsecured loads and debris on the roadway according to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA). In an effort to promote awareness and prevent these incidents from occurring, June 6th has been designated as Secure Your Load Day. Anyone transporting a load is encouraged to adhere to the following safeguards:
1. Tie down loads with rope, netting or straps.
2. Tie large objects directly to the vehicle or trailer.
3. Cover the entire load with a sturdy tarp or netting.
4. Don’t overload the vehicle.
5. Always double check load to make sure a load is secure.
Failure to properly secure a load is a violation of Louisiana state law. Penalties include a fine of up to $500 and/or up to six months in jail depending on the circumstances (LRS 32:383).
Debris discarded in the back of trucks often blows out and litters our highways and communities. Please do your part to “Love the Boot” and remove any trash from the bed of your truck before traveling. Not doing so may result in a fine and court costs of up to $1,000 (LRS 30:2531).