St. John Parish Public Schools announces timeline for reopening
Published 6:10 pm Thursday, September 16, 2021
LAPLACE — St. John the Baptist Parish Public Schools announced its Hurricane Ida Recovery Plan, which will utilize a gradual return to school for staff and scholars.
As of now, students are anticipated to return to school on Monday, October 11.
Registration will be held both in-person and online beginning Sept. 27 to help administration get a headcount of students returning to the school district. Superintendent Dr. Lynett Hookfin said the District will work with families regarding school uniforms.
The plan also includes different learning options due to district building damages, power restoration in the local area and other factors regarding the reopening of school campuses. The plan is tentative and will be contingent upon the timeline of when contractors release school sites to the district as they meet safety, environmental and operational standards.
School District administration will continue meeting with insurance representatives, remediation contractors, industrialist hygienist, technology companies and all others assisting in getting all buildings prepared for school.
Return to Work/School Timeline:
- Thursday, Sept 23 — The location of the onsite registration will be announced
- Monday, Sept. 27/ Ongoing — Onsite registration begins. Times will be 9 a.m. to noon and 2 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday, location to be determined. Masks are required.
- Monday, September 27, 2021 Report for Duty:
- Cabinet Members
- All School Administrators
- Wednesday, October 6, 2021 Report for Duty:
- Support Staff (including Clerks, Paraprofessionals, Custodians, etc.)
- Monday, October 11, 2021 – Scholars Return to School
- See learning options below
- In Person Learning, but may include
- Platoon Schedule
- Hybrid Schedule
- Virtual Learning for Evacuated Families
- Return to in-person will be based on time intervals
- Virtual Learning for Scholars in Monroe (Several St. John Parish scholars are currently staying in shelters in Monroe)
- Deliver Laptops
- Coordinate Academic Plan with Grambling State University and Parents
The St. John the Baptist Parish Public School District will ensure scholars receive the benefits of a complete academic year.
Instructional minutes that school systems meet each year are mandated by the
Louisiana Department of Education. Any waiver of these minutes would have to be requested by the state and approved by the governor. The current 2021-22 school academic calendar included additional built-in minutes for hurricanes and other extenuating circumstances, but the days missed due to Hurricane Ida have exceeded those minutes.
The School District is in the process of revising our academic calendar and will release it as soon as possible.
High School Athletic Programs
High school scholars who participate in athletic programs have missed approximately two
weeks of their seasons. Please see the information below as a tentative timeline regarding a safe and effective return of high school athletic programs. Remember that SJBS is still following
- Dates to begin: The anticipated first day of practice is Monday, September 20, 2021. The
target for first high school football games would be Friday, September 24, 2021 or
Saturday, September 25, 2021.
- Athletic Equipment: All of the athletic gear that is available will be cleaned and ready for
scholars in the next two weeks. Athletic directors will specify the areas that
equipment and uniforms can be stored. Athletic equipment such as balls, helmets,
shoulder pads, etc. will be thoroughly sanitized to prepare for usage.
- Medical: As of today, the medical site that will be utilized is TBD based upon
building mitigation and safety processes. Scholars will be provided bottled water for
drinking purposes until further notification.
- Security: Security will continue to be provided at football games.
Other High School Sports
- All other high school sports will be announced on Wednesday, September, 22, 2021. The District is currently in communication with other districts regarding athletic programs and their start dates.