• 75°

Woman involved in fatal St. Charles crash arrested

LAPLACE – Jennifer Englade, the LaPlace woman allegedly responsible for a serious accident in Norco that left three dead, was arrested on Tuesday after she was released from Louisiana State University Public Hospital.

Englade was booked on three counts of vehicular homicide, third-degree feticide, first-degree vehicular negligent injury, DWI-second offense, reckless operation, open container and no insurance.

Louisiana State Police representatives confirmed previously that Englade tested over the legal limit for blood alcohol content.

Englade, 40, was operating a 2006 Pontiac G6 northbound on U.S. Highway 61 in the early morning hours of Sunday, May 26, when she crossed the raised median for unknown reasons. As the Pontiac entered the southbound lanes of travel, it was struck on its right side by a 2001 Honda Civic, driven by Romishe Mejia-Fequier, 23, of Harvey. Englade was wearing a seat belt and was transported to the Interim LSU Public Hospital Level 1 Trauma Center. Romishe Mejia-Fequier was pronounced dead on the scene. She was also wearing a seat belt.

Joshua Jones, 29 of Sulphur was the front seat passenger in the Pontiac. He was not wearing a seat belt and was ejected from the vehicle upon impact and pronounced dead on the scene. Mejia Medena, 20, of Harvey was the front seat passenger of the Honda. He was wearing a seat belt and sustained critical injuries and was transported to the Level 1 Trauma Center. Esther Centeno, 20, of Bridge City was the right rear passenger in the Honda and was pregnant. Centeno was wearing a seat belt and was pronounced dead on the scene.

Englade has a previous history of driving under the influence. According to St. Charles District Attorney Joel T. Chaisson II, Englade pleaded guilty in March 1999 to driving while intoxicated in St. John the Baptist Parish. In June 1999, Englade also pleaded guilty to driving while intoxicated in St. Charles Parish, a second offense.

Englade had yet another run-in with the law in June 2012 when she was charged with another DWI in St. Charles Parish. Since her last conviction had been more than 10 years before, Englade was only charged with a first offense. Chaisson said she was sentenced to 12 months of probation in addition to a driver improvement program but did not complete the terms of probation. Chaisson said he had already moved to revoke her probation in April.

Chaisson also said Englade may have been charged with another offense in 1996, but there is limited information on the actual charge