Suspects in Edgard bank robbery plead guilty in federal court

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, January 19, 2011



LAPLACE – Thee New Orleans residents who robbed a Capital One Bank in Edgard, then led police on a chase through St. John and St. Charles parishes that ended with an 11-hour search in Destrehan in May, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit robbery Friday, according to a release from U.S. Attorney Jim Letten.

A fourth participant, one of two who allegedly carried out the May 4, 2010, heist, is scheduled for trial March 21.

According to court documents and a report from the St. John Parish Sheriff’s Office, Corey Richardson, 36, and Errol Harris, 27, carried out the robbery, while Doriaya Jordan and Vincent Beverly, both 21, helped the men prepare for it and also helped the men escape pursuit by St. John Sheriff’s deputies. The robbers were able to get away with about $22,000, according to the release.

Richardson, Jordan and Beverly entered their pleas before U.S. District Judge Carl Barbier. In addition to the conspiracy charge, Richardson also pleaded guilty to one count of armed bank robbery.

According to a factual basis from Letten’s office, the four discussed the plan at the Edgard home of Beverly’s sister on the morning of May 4. Beverly drove Jordan to the bank, located on River Road, so he could determine how many customers were inside, while Harris and Richardson waited outside in a Dodge Charger.

Beverly and his sister, who was not named in court documents, attempted to start a fire to distract police. Richardson and Harris then entered the bank with masks and handguns, grabbed a manager by the arm and forced her to lie behind the counter.

Harris forced a customer who entered the bank to the floor as the robbery was in progress. Harris and Richardson then fled the bank in the Charger with Jordan in the back seat.

St. John deputies pursued the vehicle immediately, but were blocked by Beverly, who drove his Chevrolet Lumina into the middle of River Road. The Charger continued to Louisiana Highway 3127 and crossed the Hale Boggs Bridge into Destrehan.

Once in Destrehan, Richardson, Jordan and Harris abandoned the vehicle and fled into a wooded area near Destrehan Plantation. The money from the bank was left inside the car.

More than 200 law enforcement officials fanned out across Destrehan neighborhoods and wooded areas and searched for more than 11 hours before all three were captured.

Richardson, Jordan and Beverly each face a possible maximum sentence of five years in jail, a fine of $250,000 and three years of supervised release following imprisonment for the conspiracy charge. Richardson also faces a possible maximum term of 25 years in jail, a fine of $250,000 and five years of supervised release following imprisonment for the armed bank robbery charge.