Michael Kiral / L’Observateur / July 22, 1998
Coaches, players, fans and parents: L’Observateur wants schedules, scores or any story ideas about sports and outdoor activities in the River Parishes. Contact Michael Kiral, staff writer, at 652-9545, drop by 116Newspaper Drive, or mail to P.O. Box 1010, LaPlace, LA 70069-1010.* L’Observateur is looking for sports stringers for the 1998 prep football season. Sports knowledge neccessary and writing skills a plus. Callmanaging editor Sandy Seal or staff writer Michael Kiral at 652-9545 for more details.
* L’Observateur is looking for those interested in writing a column on fishing, hunting and other outdoors activity. If interested, contact MichaelKiral at 652-9545.
* The Special Olympics are looking for a director in St. James Parish andvolunteers for the Bayoulands Area.
If interested, contact Bayoulands Area Director Theresa Theriot at 1- 800-276-3195.
* The River Parishes Fellowship of Christian Athletes Adult Chapter meets on the first Saturday of every month for breakfast at 8:30 a.m. at theCorner Cafe on Dominican Drive in LaPlace.
For information call Gary Zeringue at 869-3005 or Don Fernandez at 652- 3029.
* F.O.R.C.E. Football will be taking registration for its 1998 football seasonSaturday from noon to 5 p.m. and Sunday from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. at Wal-Mart.Football player ages: 6-12 years old by July 31. Registration will also beheld for cheerleaders, ages 4-12. Practices will begin Monday, August 3 atthe Glade School on U.S. 51 at 6 p.m.For more information call Laura at 651-0042, Donald at 651-4030 or Paul at 536-8534.
* NOAH Recreation is holding football registration Saturday from 9 a.m.until noon at NOAH Park. Registrants must bring a copy of their birthcertificate of they are not already on file.
For more information contact Wilfred Mitchell at 652-4660 or call the playground at 651-9002.
* The St. Charles Catholic Comet Football Camp for ages 9-12 will be heldJuly 28-31 from 9 a.m. until noon. The cost of the camp is $35. Registration will be held at the St. CharlesCatholic CometPlex July 25 and 27 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The camp includes instruction at all positions; Punt, Pass and Kick competitions, touch football games, weightlifting instruction and camp T- shirts.
For more information contact coach Wayde Keiser at 652-3029.
* The Destrehan Fighting Wildcat Basketball camp, conducted by head coach Mike McGuire, his staff and several varsity players, will be held July 27- 31 from 3-5 p.m. at the Destrehan gym for ages 7-14.The cost is $50 and includes camp T-shirt and basketball. Each player willbe taught, observed and corrected in the fundamentals of basketball.
Campers will be age and ability grouped. Shooting drills and games will beheld as well as 3 on 3 and 5 on 5 team competitions.
For more information call Mike McGuire at 834-6924 or 764-9946.
* Southeastern Louisiana University announces its summer camp schedule.
SLU head women’s basketball coach Frank Schneider will be conducting a three-day camp for girls basketball teams Friday through Sunday.
Each team will be guaranteed seven games but is limited to the first eight varsity teams that sign up. Registration fee is $200 per team.There will be a day camp for boy’s basketball August 3-7. The camp willbe held in the University Center on the SLU campus.
SLU head coaches and assistants will be present at their respective camps.
For information contact the SLU Athletic Department at (504) 549-2253 or 549-3744 or go to the SLU summer camp site at www.selu.edu/edu/athletics.* The Louisiana Special Olympics Paintball Tournament will be held August 1 at the Strategic Maneuvers Paintball Field in Gonzales (across from the Tanger Mall).
Registration starts at 7 a.m. and play begins at 8 a.m. Rental equipmentwill be available (field paint only). For preregistration or questions callDavid at 869-8404 or Keith at 647-1111.
* The Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries announces alligator harvest proposal as follows: Proposal number WLF Game AWMA 98. Sale ofapproximately 300 alligators on certain WMA’s including Pearl River, Joyce, Manchac, Sherburne, Atchafalaya NWR, Spring Bayou, Grassy Lake and Pomme De Terre. Prospective buyers must comply with allrequirements set forth in bid proposal.
Sealed bids will be opened and read by Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries, Headquarters Building, 2000 Quail Dr., 4th Floor ConferenceRoom 459, Baton Rouge, LA 70808 on August 18 at 2 p.m. For additionalinformation or to receive a bid package contact James C. Davis at (504)765-2360.
* Ascension of Our Lord Recreation will have soccer registration August 23 and 30 in the school lobby from 12:30 p.m. to 3 p.m. Registration will beheld for the following age groups: under 6 years old (boys and girls), under 8 years old (boys and girls), boys under 10 years old, girls under 10 years old, boys under 11 years old, boys under 12 years old, girls under 12 years old, boys under 13 years old, boys under 14 years old and girls under 14 years old. Any questions call director Mike Abbate Sr. at 652-5041.* The St. John Parish Sheriff’s Office is sponsoring hunter safety classesthat are free of charge.
All classes will be held at the St. John Parish Sheriff’s Office DivisionHeadquarters in LaPlace. Registration is required and you must attend eachday for certification. Class times will be from 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.Saturday’s class will start at Nick’s Shooting Range in Garyville at 8 a.m.The schedule of classes: August 18-20 and 22; Sept. 22-24 and 26; Oct.20-22 and 24; and Nov. 17-19 and 21.Call 652-7058 or 652-9513 to register or if you have any questions.
* The Xavier University Athletics Department will host a Summer Basketball camp Monday, August 3 until Friday, August 7 in the university gymnasium from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. The one week camp will be open to 100 students from ages 7-17. Camperswill receive instruction in basic basketball skills, with emphasis on defense, special situations and basketball cuts. Head men’s basketballcoach Dale Valdery, assistant men’s coach Anthony Roman and Neil McKendall, director of Intramural Sports, will be in charge of this year’s camp.
As part of the camp’s $75 fee, all students enrolled in the camp will receive a T-shirt, a certificate of participation as well as special awards for outstanding achievement during the camp.
Students can register early in the gymnasium between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. Toparticipate, students must be enrolled by Monday, August 3. For moreinformation please call 485-5008 or 483-7334.
* The Chrysler Junior Golf Scholarship Program will award 40 $1,000 educational scholarships to America’s most deserving junior golfers.
Anyone 12-18 who plans to attend college can apply.
For information or to request an application contact: Chrysler Junior Golf Scholarship Program Headquarters, 640 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10019, phone 1-800-856-0764 or e-mail ChryJrGolf@aol.com.* Contributions to the Ray Laiche Memorial Fund Scholarship can be made at the Bank of LaPlace. Call 652-2200 for information.* Rather than trading in the family car, consider donating it to Louisiana Special Olympics’ Recycle for Gold program.
The LSO will recycle your vehicle into the cash needed to provide year- round athletic training and sports competition for 12,000 children and adults with mental disabilities.
All donors are eligible for a tax deduction.
For information call 800-590-1600.
Return To News Stories
Copyright © 1998, Wick Communications, Inc.
Internet services provided by NeoSoft.
Best viewed with 3.0 or higher