What’s Happening in St. John the Baptist 4-H
Published 2:09 pm Wednesday, October 25, 2023
The 2023-2024 4-H year is off to a great start!
4-H clubs at the schools within the parish have been hosting monthly meetings with the St. John the Baptist Parish 4-H Agent, Xavier Bell, since August. This year, the club is focusing on Adult/Life Skills and Mental Health, said Bell. During monthly club meetings, 4-H’ers will learn about consumer skills, budgeting, writing skills, getting a job, vehicle/bike care, and home maintenance. Bell said, “This year’s educational focus was voted on by the St. John Parish 4-H Advisory Council during our annual meeting back in March 2023.”
Bell said, it is an exciting time in St. John Parish 4-H. He mentioned that membership is above what it was last year, and that number increases daily; he has a great group of Jr. Leaders who are passionate about wanting to provide opportunities for their peers and help younger youth, and the community support has been tremendous throughout his time in this role.
There are a lot of opportunities ahead for youth in the parish to get involved in. Bell said, “One of the beauties about 4-H it allows a young person to explore and tap into their spark in various ways.” So, what are some of the exciting things happening in 4-H?
- Youth in grades K – 12th can submit an art piece for the Seeds to Success: The Louisiana Farm to School Art Contest – Deadline is November 1, 2023
- Throughout the month of October 4-H members can bring a decorated pumpkin for the Pumpkin Decorating Contest
- 4-H members ages 9 through 13 can attend 4-H Shooting Sports Camp held at Camp Grant Walker in Pollock, LA on December 8 – 10, 2023 – Deadline to register is November 20, 2023
- 4-H members in grades 5th – 12th can attend the one-day Fashion & Beyond on Tour to learn how sew, model, and more on January 9, 2024, at LSU – Registration will open November 1, 2023
- 4-H members can participate in the livestock project. The 4-H Office is currently accepting orders for Broiler Chicks – Deadline to order is November 17, 2023
- And so much more
It is never too late to get involved in 4-H. 4-H is a family organization, says Bell. 4-H members can select one or more projects that spark their interest and work to build their skills to mastery the project area.
In addition, the 4-H Program has expanded to include a Parish 4-H Community Club. This club is open to youth in grades 4 – 12 who are homeschooled, attending virtual schooling, live within the parish but attend a school outside the parish, and/or do not have a 4-H Club at their school. The first meeting of this club will be October 30, 2023, at 6:00 p.m. at the Garyville Library. If you would like to be a part be sure to register at https://forms.office.com/pages/responsepage.aspx?id=mFBLgAiZ30ucBrPfd3Vjquo7bgQRRpdPn-NcsDmptilUMVpLM1FJMEREWjJCUzJZT1QwUDRPU082Uy4u.
Learn more about 4-H in St John Parish at lsuagcenter.com/stjohn4h or find us on Facebook.