St. John Parish Schools implementing new safety policies for athletic events
Published 9:48 am Tuesday, September 19, 2023
RESERVE — In light of recent community events, as well as our desire to maintain a safe environment, new security measures for all athletic events will be effective September 22. All procedures and protocols are being established as proactive, preventative measures to improve the safety and security for all.
- Security checkpoints. Metal detectors will be used for everyone entering the sporting events, including football games. Metal detectors and/or wands will also be used at all events in the school gymnasiums. Searches, if necessary, will be conducted as a requirement to enter.
- Clear bag policy. Only clear bags and purses will be allowed at events. Bags should be no larger than 12″ x 6″ x 12″
- No re-entry. Tickets will now be non-refundable, non-transferable, and no re entry will be allowed. Anyone who leaves an event during the game will not be allowed to re-enter without going through screening again and purchasing an additional ticket.
- No unattended students. Any student in grades K – 8 attending an event must be accompanied by an adult.
- Group ticketing. If you purchase multiple tickets together, everyone in your party will need to be present to enter or tickets need to be sent to the individual attendees.
- No sideline access. Sideline access is limited to the team, support staff, spirit groups, school administrators, or personnel with approval from the administration or athletic director of the school.
- Animals of any kind, except documented service animals
- Backpacks of any variety – including drawstring & synch bags
- Containers of any kind – coolers, ice chests, bottles, cans, cups, flasks, etc.
- Alcoholic beverages
- Projectiles of any variety – including but not limited to footballs, soccer balls, ba:;eballs, etc.
- Weapons of any variety – firearms, knives, pocket knives, multi-function tools, etc.
- Students who have exhibited inappropriate behavior at school involving threats, instigating, and/or fighting will not be allowed to attend school extracurricular and athletic events.
- Students while suspended and/or recommended for expulsion are not allowed to attend any extracurricular activities for the duration of the suspension (in school and/or out-of-school suspension.