Free back-to-school training offered to families of children in special education
Published 9:15 am Wednesday, July 12, 2023
HARAHAN — If your school-aged child will be receiving Special Education services this fall, join Families Helping Families of Greater New Orleans for this crucial training event! For two weeks we will be offering online training seminars on things you NEED to know, ending with a special presentation for parents of high school students on the April Dunn Act.
Week one began Tuesday, July 11 with an introduction to special education course. Here is the schedule of remaining free webinars:
- Hitting the High Points: An Overview of the Individualized Education Program (Wednesday, July 12 at 11 a.m.)
- Parent Rights in Special Education (Thursday, July 13 at 10 a.m.)
- Importance of Inclusion (Tuesday, July 18 at noon)
- Using FHF Tools to Introduce Your Child to New Providers (Wednesday, July 19 at 11 a.m.)
- The April Dunn Act – What Parents Need to Know NOW (Thursday, July 20 at 10 a.m.)
There is no charge for any of these training opportunities, but registration is required for each. For more information or with help registering, call Families Helping Families of Greater New Orleans at 504-888-9111 or visit their website at FHFofGNO.org and click on the calendar under the TRAINING tab. The registration links will be found on the date of each session.
Families Helping Families of Greater New Orleans (FHF of GNO) is a family-directed resource center serving the entire state of Louisiana since 1991. We provide information and referral, training and education, and peer-to-peer support on issues related to disability. FHF of GNO is also home to the Louisiana Parent Training and Information Center, a federal education grant that provides training and support to families throughout Louisiana on special education and transition topics.