SFM: Fatal fire in Denham Springs began in kitchen

Published 4:58 pm Monday, June 26, 2023

LIVINGSTON PARISH (June 26, 2023)- State Fire Marshal (SFM) deputies have concluded their investigation into a mobile home fire in Denham Springs that claimed the life of a 7-year-old boy.
Just after midnight on Monday, June 26, Livingston Parish Fire District #5 responded to a report of a mobile home fire located in the 8700 block of Caliente Avenue in Denham Springs. Firefighters learned a group of bystanders noticed the fire and alerted the family inside by banging on the door. When the family emerged and realized one child was missing, the good Samaritans attempted to find him unsuccessfully. The group then called 911 and helped relocate several vehicles away from the house while fire crews headed to the scene. Unfortunately, firefighters later located the boy’s body in a hallway.
Following an assessment of the scene and conducting witness statements, deputies have determined the fire began in the kitchen and they have been unable to rule out electrical malfunction as a contributing factor to the cause of the fire. Investigators located numerous extension cords, power strips and decorative lighting strands connected throughout the home and being used to power multiple electronics and high-wattage appliances.
The SFM would like to encourage avoiding the continued use of appliances or areas of a home with concerning electrical activities until a licensed electrician can review and repair any issues found. Also, avoid long-term use of extension cords and be aware of the wattage limitations of those cords and power strips to avoid overloading them which can cause overheating and become a fire hazard.
In addition, deputies were unable to locate any working smoke alarms in this home. Smoke alarms have been proven to be the difference between life and death in a fire emergency, no matter the type of home. If you have smoke alarms, ensure they are working. If you need help getting smoke alarms for your home, Operations Save-A-Life can help. To learn more about Operation Save-A-Life, or to register for a free smoke alarm, visit our website at lasfm.org or contact your local fire department to request a free smoke alarm installation.