Celebrate Women in Business: Alicia McDowell
Published 9:07 am Thursday, March 30, 2023
Taylor & McDowell Law
Tell us a little bit about yourself and your business: I am a licensed attorney and my area of focus is motor vehicle accident cases, personal injury, and successions. I am from San Diego County, California but I have been living in Louisiana for over 15 years and at this point consider myself a Louisianian. When I am not practicing law, I enjoy spending time with my family and friends. I have aspirations of bringing more youth activities to St. John the Baptist Parish. I hold the Boys & Girls Club near and dear to my heart and through my own experiences I am a strong advocate of mentoring youth.
Who are some role models you look up to, and why?: There are so many women I consider role models, however, if I had to pick five (5), then I would say the following:
• My mother (Alice McDowell)- where would I be without mom? She raised 4 children on her own and made it look easy. She always pushed me to see that there was nothing I could not do. Everyone thinks their mom Is the greatest, but my mom exceeds great! Love you mom!
• Judge Sylvia Taylor- Fair, passionate, and caring. Sylvia is an inspiration to many, I love how she loves her community and is driven to see everyone succeed, a true class act.
• United States Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg- Justice Ginsburg is a role model to me because she went against the grain. In a world driven by men, she did not let the glass ceiling stop her. “Women belong in all places where decisions are being made.”
• Former First Lady Michelle Obama- Mrs. Obama is most known for being the first lady but she is also an attorney. Her wit, her class, and her quiet storm demeanor, is something I try to emulate in my profession. “When they go low, you go high!”
• Maya Angelou- her words inspired so many and had a far-reaching impact, with so many things to say she said it with grace. “Still I rise!”
Why is it important to encourage and be a role model for other young women that want to get into business?
I think it is very important to encourage and be a role model to other young women that want to get into business because it teaches/shows them that you can break the glass ceilings. There are so many roadblocks but through perseverance and determination the sky is the limit!
What advice would you offer?
1. Make a plan- it is easy to get deterred by life, but making a plan and sticking to it is key. 2. It is okay to ask for help- I don’t know where I would be without my mentors, 3. Pay it forward- someone took a chance on me, so I think it is important