LHSAA announces 2022 football playoff brackets
Published 8:15 am Wednesday, November 9, 2022
NEW ORLEANS — On November 6, the Louisiana High School Athletic Association announced select and non-select playoff brackets for the 2022 football season.
East St. John is the only team in St. John Parish that will be competing in the bi-district round this week. Coach Brandon Brown said The ‘E’ is ready to take on Walker.
East St. John suffered back-to-back losses against Destrehan and Holy Cross to close the regular season but has maintained a respectable 8-2 record and a No. 11 seeding in the playoffs.
“We are excited to host a first round playoff game. That’s something East St. John hasn’t done since the 2013-2014 football season. Our kids are very excited, and we’re just looking for another opportunity. We’ve had a great year, started off 8-0, and then we dropped our last two ball games. Our kids are eager to get back out there and just show our community we haven’t played our best ball, and now we’re ready to play,” Brown said. “It’s a new season. We’re going to forget about the past and move forward.”
Walker comes into the playoffs with a No. 22 ranking and a 6-4 season record after losing to Denham Springs in Week 10.
“We haven’t played Walker since I’ve been coaching here. They’ve played good ball. At this point in the season, everyone knows what’s at stake. They are going to come in and play their best ball, so we’re going to have to be ready,” Brown said.
Hahnville and Lutcher will also be playing Friday night, while St. Charles Catholic, Riverside Academy, Destrehan and St. James earned first-round byes.
Division I Non-Select
- Destrehan (No. 3 seed) has a first round bye and will compete in the regional round against the winner of this week’s game between No. 14 Dutchtown and No. 19 Parkway. Destrehan has an undefeated 10-0 record for the regular season.
- East St. John (No. 11 seed) will host No. 22 Walker in the bi-district round. If successful, the Wildcats will play the winner of No. 6 Airline and No. 27 Haughton in the regional round.
- Hahnville (No. 16 seed) will host No. 17 Ouachita Parish in the bi-district round this week. A win would bring the Tigers to the regional round to face No. 1 Ruston.
Division II Non-Select
- Lutcher (No. 6 seed) will host No. 27 Wossman in the bi-district round. If the Bulldogs win, they will face the winner of this week’s game between No. 11 St. Martinville and No. 22 DeRidder.
Division III Non-Select
- St. James (No. 4 seed) has a first round bye and will compete in the regional round Nov. 17-19 against the winner of this week’s game between No. 13 Loreauville and No. 20 Vidalia.
Division III Select
- St. Charles Catholic (No. 2 seed) has a first round bye and will compete in the regional round against the winner of this week’s game between No. 15 Ascension Episcopal and No. 18 Patrick Taylor Science/Tech.
Division IV Select
- Riverside Academy (No. 7 seed) has a first round bye and will compete in next week’s regional round against the winner of this week’s game between No. 10 Ascension Catholic and No. 23 Lincoln Preparatory School.