TEXAS MAN DIES IN MONROE RV FIRE

Published 12:29 pm Monday, October 31, 2022

OUACHITA PARISH (Oct. 31, 2022)- State Fire Marshal (SFM) deputies continue investigating a deadly RV fire in Monroe that claimed the life of a Texas man.
Just before 6 a.m. on Thursday, Oct. 27, the Monroe Fire Department responded to a report of an RV fire on a commercial property located in the 2100 block of Louisville Avenue. Upon arrival, firefighters learned there were two people in the recreational vehicle at the time of the fire; one was able to escape but the other did not make it out. Firefighters later located the victim near the front of the RV where it appeared he had been attempting to escape.
Official identification and cause of death are pending with the Ouachita Parish Coroner’s Office, however, the victim is believed to be a 59-year-old employee of the business, from Texas, who was staying in the RV.
After an assessment of the scene and collecting witness statements, SFM deputies determined the fire started in the slide-out section of the RV. At this time, deputies have been unable to rule out an electrical malfunction related to an overloaded power strip and improper use of extension cords as a possible cause.
This is the fourth deadly RV fire the SFM has investigated this year. In all four cases, the cause was suspected to be electrical and related to either, and/or overloaded power strips, improper use of extension cords, or unsafe wiring.
When it comes to electrical safety, the SFM recommends avoiding long-term use of extension cords and staying aware of the wattage limitations of those cords and power strips to avoid overloading them which can cause overheating and become a fire hazard. It is also highly advised to consult with licensed electricians when addressing electrical wiring and connection concerns in your home.
In addition, deputies were unable to confirm the presence of working smoke alarms in the RV. The SFM wants to stress to all Louisiana residents that smoke alarms have proven to be the difference between life and death in a fire emergency, no matter the type of home. If you need assistance obtaining smoke alarms for your home, Operations Save-A-Life can help. To learn more about Operation Save-A-Life, visit our website at lasfm.org.