ELECTRICAL CAUSE SUSPECTED IN DEADLY COTTON VALLEY HOUSE FIRE
Published 4:59 pm Tuesday, September 20, 2022
WEBSTER PARISH (Sept. 20, 2022)- The State Fire Marshal’s Office (SFM) is continuing its investigation into a deadly house fire in Cotton Valley.
Around 4 a.m. on Friday, September 16, the Cotton Valley Fire Department responded to a report of a house fire located in the 200 block of Sikes Ferry Road. Unfortunately, firefighters located a male victim inside a bedroom.
Official identification and cause of death are pending with the Webster Parish Coroner’s Office, however, the victim is believed to be the 44-year-old homeowner.
After an assessment of the scene and collecting witness statements, SFM deputies determined the fire began in the home’s laundry room area.
While the exact cause is still undetermined, deputies have not been able to rule out the possibility of an electrical malfunction in the home’s wiring as a potential contributing factor.
When it comes to electrical safety, the SFM recommends not connecting extension cords and power strips to create power sources where a wall outlet does not exist or between two structures. Also, only use those cords and strips for temporary purposes. And contact a licensed electrician for any electrical concerns in and around your home.
In addition, deputies were unable to confirm the presence of working smoke alarms in the home. The SFM wants to stress to all Louisiana residents that smoke alarms have proven to be the difference between life and death in a fire emergency. If you need assistance obtaining smoke alarms for your home, Operations Save-A-Life can help. To learn more about Operation Save-A-Life, visit our website at lasfm.org.