LETTER TO THE EDITOR
Published 12:01 am Saturday, July 23, 2022
Dear editor and community,
As president of the St. John Association of Educators, I represent more than half of the educators (which includes support employees) within St. John the Baptist Parish Schools. On behalf of these educators, we gladly endorse and advocate for positive change within our classrooms. This change starts here during qualifying week, as we seek qualified and competent candidates, with INTEGRITY, who will make positive and meaningful policy decisions on behalf of our educators and students. We fully encourage members of our community who are solution-oriented and innovative in bringing about the needed change within our schools to apply for this monumental role and task. As qualifying ended on Friday, July 22 at 4 p.m., we believe in the adage that “variety is the spice of life,” and that having a variety of ideas challenges our systems to become a better one that works on behalf of our students. Thanks for your willingness to become a better one that works on behalf of our students.
SJAE’s Candidate Wish List:
- Board members that listen to educators and act on the behalf of teachers in the classroom and students.
- Board members who are objective in their policy-making decisions and are not tied to owed favors to friends.
- Board members who are honest and willing to take corrective action in a timely manner.
- Board members that are available to educators and know the needs of their schools and constituents.
- Board members who will take the time to make school visits and are visible.
- Board members who will stand with educators and creating effective change.
- Board members with classroom experience or are openly receptive to learning the classroom and needs.
- Board members who are willing to consult with educators before making decisions in their interest.
Derron C. Cook, Sr.