SFM: Fire incident could have been very different

Published 8:20 am Friday, June 10, 2022

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...
This story from the Scott Fire Department could have been very different had a concerned neighbor not taken action.
This story is also a reminder that smoke alarms save lives! They are even more effective than a concerned neighbor when it comes to alerting you to a possible fire danger!
The Scott Fire Department partners with us in Operation Save-A-Life which installs FREE smoke alarms for families that need help accessing the life-saving devices!
On Wednesday (6/8/22) at 11:36 PM, Scott Fire Department was dispatched to a commercial fire in the 200 block of Falcon Street, in the Ile Des Cannes Apartment complex. Upon arrival, the caller informed firefighters her apartment was filling with smoke; however, she was unable to locate where the smoke was originating.
While conducting their investigation, firefighters observed a neighboring apartment filled with smoke. Firefighters entered the apartment, where they located the occupant and her three minor children asleep in a bedroom. Firefighters safely removed all four occupants from the building, while a second crew located an unattended pot on the stove in the kitchen.
Properly installed smoke alarms play a vital role in reducing fire injuries and deaths. However, the apartment where the fire occurred had no smoke alarms. If not for the actions of her neighbor, it is very possible that the entire family would have been unable to safely escape.
Several years ago, Scott Fire Department partnered with the Louisiana State Fire Marshal’s Operation Save-A-Life program in an attempt to provide a working smoke alarm to anyone in need, to maximize the chances of survival during a fire. If you are in need of an alarm, please visit lasfm.org.
May be an image of 1 person, outdoors and text that says 'NGINE 53 SCOTT FIRE DEPARTMENT DEPAR EST.'