Three Sentenced in Connection with the Murder of Loomis Armored Guard Hector Trochez

Published 3:09 pm Thursday, April 21, 2022

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

NEW ORLEANS, LA – United States Attorney Duane A. Evans announced that yesterday JEREMY ESTEVES, age 35, ROBERT BRUMFIELD, III, age 28, and JASMINE THEOPHILE, age 29, all of New Orleans, were sentenced today by U.S. District Judge Lance Africk for their roles in the December 2013 armed robbery of a Loomis Armored vehicle at Chase Bank, 2331 S. Carrollton, Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana, which resulted in the death of Loomis guard Hector Trochez.

ESTEVES, who was found guilty by a jury at trial in November 2019 of conspiracy to obstruct and obstruction of commerce by robbery, murder, and violations of the Federal Gun Control Act, was sentenced to 600 months imprisonment, a five-year term of supervised release following imprisonment, a $300 mandatory special assessment fee, and ordered to pay restitution in the amount of $277,000.00.

BRUMFIELD, who was also convicted at trial in November 2019 of conspiracy to obstruct commerce by robbery, was sentenced to 240 months imprisonment, a three year term of supervised release following imprisonment, a $100 mandatory special assessment fee, and ordered to pay restitution in the amount of $277,000.00.

THEOPHILE, the former girlfriend of co-defendant Lilbear George, previously pleaded guilty to obstruction of justice and was sentenced to a five year term of probation, which includes six months in the custody of a halfway house.  She was further ordered to pay a $100 mandatory special assessment fee.

According to court documents, on December 18, 2013, ESTEVES along with co-defendants, Lilbear George, Chukwudi Ofomata, and Curtis Johnson, Jr., robbed a Loomis armored vehicle as it was making a delivery of approximately $265,000 to the Chase Bank at the intersection of S. Carrollton and S. Claiborne Avenues.  As Trochez prepared to make the delivery, George and Ofomataboth armed, exited a Chevy Tahoe driven by ESTEVES and ordered Trochez to give up the money.  Trochez pulled his weapon and fired at the robbers.  Ofomata and George returned fired in Trochez’s direction.  Johnson fired at the Loomis truck to keep the driver inside. Trochez was fatally struck on the left side of his forehead and suffered a graze wound to his elbow. One of the robbers ran towards the rear of the Loomis truck and took possession of the money bag before re-entering the Tahoe.  The robbers fled the Chase Bank parking lot.

A witness seated in a vehicle at the corner of S. Claiborne and S. Carrollton Avenues observed the shooting and provided a description of the shooters and the vehicle they occupied.  That witness followed the Chevy Tahoe as it fled the location of the shooting/robbery.  During the vehicle’s flight, one of the shooters fired at the witness’s vehicle in an attempt to deter the witness from following.  The witness observed the Chevy Tahoe arrive in the 1700 block of Adams Street and saw the four robbers exit the Chevy Tahoe and enter the awaiting Honda Accord driven by BRUMFIELD.  The Honda Accord fled the Adams Street location, leaving the Chevy Tahoe behind.

The Tahoe was recovered by the New Orleans Police Department and searched pursuant to a federal search warrant.  During the search, FBI agents observed that the steering wheel column of the vehicle had been breached. Agents located two screwdrivers on the floorboard and a bandana on the console.  The items were collected and submitted for DNA testing at the Louisiana State Police Crime Laboratory.  An unknown DNA profile, later confirmed to be that of George, was recovered from one of the screwdrivers.  Likewise, the DNA recovered from the bandana was confirmed to be that of Johnson.

Co-defendants George and Ofomata previously pleaded guilty and were sentenced to 480 months imprisonment.  Defendant Johnson was convicted at trial in March 2022 and will be sentenced on July 13, 2022.

U.S. Attorney Evans praised the work of the Federal Bureau of Investigation along with the New Orleans Police Department and the Louisiana State Police.  Assistant United States Attorneys Brittany L. Reed, Gregory M. Kennedy, and Inga Petrovich prosecuted the matter.