Dr. Newsome reappointed to Louisiana Cancer & Lung Trust Fund Board
Published 12:01 am Saturday, February 5, 2022
LAPLACE —Governor John Bel Edwards recently reappointed Dr. Robert R. Newsome of LaPlace to the Louisiana Cancer and Lung Trust Fund Board.
The Louisiana Cancer and Lung Trust Fund Board serves to determine policy for the Louisiana Tumor Registry and distribute state funds for cancer research.
Dr. Newsome is the vice speaker for the Louisiana State Medical Society and a radiologist for Baton Rouge Radiology Group. He will represent Louisiana State Medical Society.
Serving on the Louisiana Cancer and Lung Trust Fund Board along with Dr. Newsome are:
- Jocelyn Renea Austin-Duffin of Baton Rouge – vice president of Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Center
- Burke J. “Jay” Brooks Jr. of Baton Rouge – chairman of the department of hematology and oncology and the chief of staff at Ochsner Medical Center of Baton Rouge
- Elizabeth Terrell Hobgood Fontham of New Orleans – former president of the American Cancer Society and an emeritus professor and founding dean of the Louisiana State University School of Public Health
- Stephen P. Kantrow of River Ridge – professor of medicine and a program director for the pulmonary and critical care fellowship at Louisiana State University School of Medicine
- Augusto C. Ochoa of New Orleans – chair of the department of interdisciplinary oncology, a professor of pediatrics, and a deputy director for LSU-LCMC Cancer Center
- John M. Rainey of Cankton – family practitioner at Opelousas General Health System
- Kristi M. Rapp of Darrow – associate dean of administration and academic support at Xavier University
- Alton O. “Oliver” Sartor of New Orleans – professor of medicine and a medical director at Tulane Cancer Center
- Sarah P. Thayer of Shreveport – director of Feist Weiller Cancer Center at Louisiana State University Health Shreveport