Woman Dies Following Franklinton Mobile Home Fire

Published 8:18 am Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

WASHINGTON PARISH- State Fire Marshal (SFM) deputies continue investigating the circumstances surrounding a mobile home fire in Franklinton that claimed the life of a disabled woman.

Just before 5:15 a.m. on Sunday, January 23, the Franklinton Fire Department responded to a report of a residential fire located in the 45000 block of Jamieson Creek Road. Firefighters were informed there was a woman inside who was unable to escape due to a disability. Tragically, the victim died before she could be rescued.

While official identification and cause of death are pending with the coroner’s office, the victim is believed to be the 51-year-old homeowner.

Following an assessment of the scene, deputies determined the fire began in the bedroom where the victim was located. While the official cause of this fire remains undetermined at this time, SFM investigators are unable to rule out the possibility of an electrical malfunction due to improper and/or aged wiring.

When it comes to electrical safety, the following tips can help prevent a fire in your home:

  • Be aware of potential electrical hazards that could indicate an impending fire danger including blown fuses and flickering lights and electronics. If these occur, disconnect power from the troubled area of the home and/or appliance, have a licensed electrician evaluate the situation immediately and make any needed repairs.
  • Make sure to frequently check wires and light strands for issues like fraying and replace them if damaged.
  • Avoid connecting extension cords and power strips to create power sources where a wall outlet does not exist.
  • Avoid overloading those cords and strips by using them for temporary purposes only, not utilizing every plug on them at the same time and by making yourself aware of their wattage capacities.
  • Plug all appliances, especially ones that require a lot of power, directly into wall outlets to prevent overheating of wires.
  • Always have a licensed electrician evaluate any electrical situation of concern in your home and let them make any needed repairs.

In addition, deputies confirmed the mobile home did not have working smoke alarms. Smoke alarms are a proven tool to alert residents to a fire danger in order to escape safely, even in a mobile home. If you need assistance obtaining smoke alarms for your home, Operations Save-A-Life can help. The program partners with local fire departments to install smoke alarms for free. To learn more about Operation Save-A-Life, visit our website at lasfm.org.