Hurricane Ida Recovery Update – Wednesday, December 1
Published 4:15 pm Wednesday, December 1, 2021
LAPLACE — St. John the Baptist Parish issued the following Hurricane Ida recovery updates for Wednesday, December 1.
· Over 871,000 cubic yards has been collected to date.
· Debris trucks are continuing to remove debris Parishwide.
If you haven’t heard back from FEMA since applying, a number of common problems may have delayed the application process. For example, it could be because of missing documents.
Call the helpline at 800-621-3362 (TTY 800-462-7585) to find out the status of your application.
More information: https://www.fema.gov/press-
The Disaster Recovery Center in the Garyville Library Parking Lot (111 Historic Front St. in Garyville) will remain open until further notice Monday through Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. for those who need assistance in person.
FEMA Mitigation specialists are also available by calling the FEMA Mitigation Helpline, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. CST, Monday through Friday, at 833-FEMA-4-US (833-336-2487) or you can email mitigation questions to: FEMA-LAMit@fema.dhs.gov.
No change in previous update
· Deadline to register/apply with SBA was November 29, 2021
· Deadline to apply to SBA Economic Injury is May 31,2022
· If you have questions about your application, please call SBA’s Customer Service Center at (800) 659-2955 or email disastercustomerservice@sba.
Hurricane Ida Disaster Legal Assistance
· Hurricane Ida Disaster Legal Assistance is available by appointment every Tuesday from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at the legal clinic located at 1811 W. Airline Hwy in LaPlace.
· St. John the Baptist Parish residents seeking disaster-related legal assistance can contact Southeast Legal Services at 225-448-0080 ext. 336 to schedule an appointment. If no one answers, please leave your name and phone number and someone will return your call.
· Residents who need temporary housing should register for the state’s Hurricane Ida Sheltering program at idashelteringla.com or by calling 844-268-0301.
– Already registered? Check your status by viewing your registration at IdaShelteringLA.com. If you have any questions, please reach out to a Program Team Member by calling 1-844-268-0301 or 1-844-458-1806 for talk to text (TTY).
Long Term Recovery Group
- St. John Parish recently activated the Long Term Recovery Group to assist residents with unmet needs due to Hurricane Ida.
- If you are a homeowner and are uninsured, underinsured, or need assistance due to Hurricane Ida, please call the St John Volunteer Reception Center (VRC) at 985-703-8411.
- Elderly residents who may need assistance can call Department of Health & Human Services at 985-536-4955 during business hours.
- Permit fees for repairs and renovations due to hurricane damage have been waived however a permit may still be needed in some instances.
- Building permits are not needed for Shingles, Sheetrock, Cabinetry, Flooring, Fencing, Doors, Siding, Trim and Painting.
- Permits are only needed when structural repairs are made to the framing, roof, or electrical components of the house.
- If you have any questions or would like to make an appointment, please contact the Planning and Zoning Department at 985-651-5565.
- If you sustained damage to your home or business electrical and/or gas systems and the utility was not able to reconnect service, please contact Planning & Zoning at Email email@example.com or call 985-651-5565 so someone in this department can work with you on reconnection.
Beware of Fraud
· Report scams, fraud, and identity theft to FEMA’s toll-free Disaster Fraud Hotline at 866-720-5721.
· Contact the Louisiana Attorney General Consumer Protection Section, P.O. Box 94005, Baton Rouge, LA 70804-9005. Or fax your complaint to 225-326-6499.
- For text alerts, text SJPWEATHER to 888-77
- Parish website: sjbparish.gov
- Parish social media: Facebook, Instagram & Twitter
- Government Access Channel (15/99)