Hurricane Ida recovery update – Wednesday, November 3
Published 4:35 pm Wednesday, November 3, 2021
LAPLACE — St. John the Baptist Parish issued the following Hurricane Ida recovery updates for Wednesday, November 3.
· More than 788,000 cubic yards has been collected in St. John to date.
· DOTD announced that the final pass of Hurricane Ida debris removal on state highways in St. John the Baptist Parish began today. DOTD recently activated a call center for questions related to Hurricane debris on state roadways at 800-950-2732. This call center is operating daily from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
· Residents have until Nov. 29 to apply for individual assistance with FEMA.
· Anyone needing assistance in filing claims with FEMA, or checking the status of existing claims, can visit the DRC during regular operating hours or visit DisasterAssistance.gov or call 800-621-3362.
· Starting November 8th, 2021, due to daylight savings time, the DRC locations will be open from 9:00am-5:00pm.
The DRCS are located at:
1. Garyville Library Parking Lot ,111 Historic Front St, Garyville
2. St. John the Baptist Parish Library Parking Lot, 2979 LA-18, Edgard
Disaster Distress Helpline
· If you’re looking for ways to cope with stress or anxiety, there are free resources available:
-Disaster Distress Helpline: 1-800-985-5990
· If you need temporary housing, please register for the state’s Hurricane Ida Sheltering Program or call (844) 268-0301 or for TTY services call (844) 458-1806. (Please also register with FEMA at disasterassistance.gov)
· If you have registered for the state program, please stay in contact at IdaShelteringLA.com.
· Already registered? Check your status by viewing your registration at IdaShelteringLA.com. If your registration is incomplete, answer all information. Please make sure to complete the following:
Release of Information (ROI),
Right of Entry (ROE); and
provide a copy of your government issued identification.
· If you have any questions, please reach out to a Program Team Member by calling 1-844-268-0301 or 1-844-458-1806 for talk to text (TTY). Please note, if there is a hold time longer than 3 minutes, you will be offered to have a Program Team Member return your call without losing your place.
· Residents who need elderly assistance should call the Department of Health & Human Services at 985-536-4955 during business hours, 8am-4:30pm daily.
· Permit fees for repairs and renovations due to hurricane damage have been waived until February 28, 2022.
· Building permits are not needed for the following types of work:
· Shingles, Sheetrock, Cabinetry, Flooring, Fencing, Doors, Siding, Trim and Painting.
· Permits are only needed when structural repairs are made to the framing, roof, or electrical components of the house.
· If you have any questions, please contact the Planning and Zoning Department at 985-651-5565.
· If you sustained damage to your home or business electrical and/or gas systems and the utility was not able to reconnect service, please contact Planning & Zoning at Email safereconnect@stjohn-
· For text alerts, text SJPWEATHER to 888-77
· Parish website: sjbparish.gov
· Parish social media: Facebook, Instagram & Twitter
· Government Access Channel (15/99)