St. James Parish Hurricane Ida Recovery Updates September 4, 2021
Entergy Power Outages:
- St. James Parish – Estimated Date of Restoration: September 17
- Number of outages as of 12 p.m.: 9,931 – 100% of customers remain without power
- Percentage of damage assessments complete: 64%
- Area Notes: While the estimated date of restoration is September 17, we expect to begin powering critical facilities and other social infrastructure within the parish well in advance of this date (hospital, grocery stores). We expect to continue this focus while we expand to residential areas and restore power to the parish.
- Damage assessments (includes both St. James Parish and St. John Parish) have reported 1,415 poles broken, 1,557 spans of wire down and 243 damaged transformers. Expected to 100% complete assessed by Saturday, September 4.
- Parish officials are working to provide accommodations to Entergy crews including housing to allow for Entergy staff to be able to stay nearby.
- Shell Convent has coordinated with the parish to build out a 300–500-man camp to house all Entergy crews while they continue working in St. James Parish.
- All Parish Roadways are open.
- Waste Management residential collection has been suspended. However, they have opened two public drop off locations as of this morning at 9 am. The drop off points will operate daily from 9 am – 3 pm.
- West Bank Reception Hall | 2455 Hwy 18, Vacherie
- Gramercy Town Hall | 120 N. Montz Ave, Gramercy
- At this time – parish landfills remain open to collect household trash from our residents. Daily hours are from 7 am -6 pm.
Storm Debris Pick Up:
- State Contractors have begun to pick up debris along state highways on Saturday, September 4, 2021. Parish contractors will begin debris pick up on Tuesday, September 7, 2021.
- Debris must be categorized by type in order for it to be picked up. [Normal Household Trash, Vegetative Debris, Construction and Demolition Debris, Appliances, Electronics & Household Hazardous Waste.]
- Absolutely NO bagged trash or debris will be picked up.
- Residents are asked to please refrain from stacking debris near AT&T Boxes, gas meters, water meters, or fire hydrants to prevent any damages when debris pick up begins.
- Between Parish Crews and Sheriff’s Office Deputy’s, over 5,000 tarps have been distributed door to door. It’s estimated that hand delivered tarps were enough for nearly half of the households in the parish.
- Tarp distribution door to door is continuing through the weekend.
- Additionally, tarps are being distributed at the POD locations.
Shelter Operations & Human Services:
- The Parish Shelter is being transitioned to the Red Cross Shelter at Lamar Dixon by end of day Saturday, September 4, 2021.
- Parish staff will assist at the shelter at Lamar Dixon.
- Parish-wide boil water advisory in place until water is restored.
Citizen Service Center (225-331-8187)
- Operating daily from 6 am to 6 pm with the exception of Saturday which will be from 8am – 4 pm. The CSC will be closed Sunday and all calls can be directed to our dispatchers at 225-562-2200.
Crisis Clean Up:
- We have several volunteer groups who will be in the parish in the coming days to assist residents with cutting tree limbs, and storm clean up.
- The Church of Latter-Day Saints has established a Crisis Clean Up line where residents can call 844-965-1386 to place a work order for assistance.
- We have volunteer crews beginning deployment today to assist with parish clean up.
- Blue grass group
Oxygen Cylinder Exchange
- Residents may call 225-562-2364 to have their Oxygen cylinder exchanged.
- Cylinders will be exchanged at the Emergency Operations Center located at 5153 Canatella Street, Convent 70723
- In order to get a new cylinder residents must bring an empty one.
Sheriff’s Office Updates:
- Reminder: A curfew remains in place and will be strictly enforced between the hours of 7 pm and 5 am daily.
St. James Parish Hospital Updates
- Communications have improved at the hospital
- The hospital will open a walk-in Family Practice Clinic on Labor Day.
- St. James Urgent Care is closed until further notice to reallocate resources to our ER.
Open Critical Services [Fuel, Groceries, Food, Supplies, Pharmacies]
- Matherne’s Supermarket – 7am – 6:30 pm – cash only
- Veron’s Supermarket – 9 am – 3 pm
- China King – 11am – 7pm (cash only)
- Home Hardware Center – 7am – 3:30pm
- Belmont Lumber – 7 am – 4:30 pm (closed between 12&1)
- Blues Grocery – 10am – 2pm – cash only (Monday thru Saturday)
- Golden Grove
- Superstop – closes at 7pm (cash only)
- Jubilee gas station- closes at 7pm (cash only)
- Pop-in-Go #11 Vacherie – closes at 6:45pm
- Sunshine Plaza – 24hr schedule
- Shell in Gramercy – 6 pm
- Tompkins Pharmacy 9am – 2pm day by day
- Winn Dixie Pharmacy – plans to open by Tuesday 9/7
**We are working to update a complete list of businesses open – if you know of any please contact the PIO at 225-264-3309 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We understand that communications are EXTREMELY limited with cell service interruptions ongoing. Please know, St. James Parish Government is doing absolutely everything possible to get messages to residents.
- If you are not signed up for emergency alerts, please call our Citizen Service Center at 225-331-8187 and someone will help you to get registered.
- If you have internet service, please visit the home page of our website at www.stjamesla.com where a link is posted to the home page for registration.
- All information is posted to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, the Parish website, being sent via text.
- Parish officials have also distributed flyers, and information at POD sites, grocery stores and throughout the community.
- Please know, information is being updated daily as new information becomes available.
Baton Rouge- The Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development announces that beginning on Saturday, September 4, crews will begin debris pickup... read more