DOTD to begin debris pickup in additional parishes following aftermath of Hurricane Ida
Published 3:28 pm Saturday, September 4, 2021
There are currently debris contractors in Ascension, Assumption, St. James, St. Bernard, Orleans, Plaquemines, St. Helena and Livingston Parishes. Over the next 48 hours, DOTD plans to have debris contractors in Jefferson, St. Charles, Tangipahoa, St. John, Washington and St. Tammany Parishes picking up debris.
Because of the large amount of debris and damage caused by Ida, this process could take some time and there will be multiple sweeps for debris removal.
Residents are encouraged to follow the below tips to assist in the debris removal process:
• State contractors are only able to remove debris from state right-of-way.
• Do not push debris into the roadway. Multiple sweeps will allow debris that cannot fit at one time to be removed.
• Please don’t put debris on power lines, fire hydrants, utility stub-outs, or anything that would hinder the claw that grabs the debris. Multiple sweeps will pick up what may not fit initially.
• Construction and demolition debris, as well as vegetative debris, are some of the items traditionally picked up first.
• Debris on commercial, agricultural, and undeveloped properties will not be removed.
• Dark-colored bagged debris will not be removed.
• Certain debris, such as refrigerators and freezers, engines, and other materials that have to be disposed of in a different manner may be picked up at a separate time and/or sweep.
Citizens are asked to be patient and where possible move debris to the roadway, not in travel lanes so the pickups will be effective. More information on the latest statistical information, debris routes where there has been a pass, and where planned debris pickup is scheduled can be found at www.511la.org
For more information, please visit www.dotd.la.gov, email email@example.com, or call DOTD’s Customer Service Center at (225) 379-1232 or 1-877-4LADOTD (1-877-452-3683). Business hours are 7:30 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Please let us know how we may better serve you: Customer Service Survey.