Louisiana officials warn about use of generators after 12 people in New Orleans sent to hospital with possible carbon monoxide poisoning

Published 9:49 am Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

Louisiana emergency officials are reminding residents of the dangers of using generators inside houses after 12 people were transported to a New Orleans hospitals with carbon monoxide poisoning.

New Orleans news sources are reporting that seven children and five adults — all apparently in the same house were transported by paramedics to a local hospital. A generator running inside of the residence is suspected to have caused carbon monoxide poisoning, which can be fatal.

New Orleans Emergency Medical Services spokesman Jonathan Fourcade said the incident illustrates the dangers of improperly using generators.

Most of the New Orleans region, including LaPlace and St. John the Baptist Parish, remains without power after Hurricane Ida crashed onto Louisiana’s coast Sunday as a Category 4 storm packing winds of 150 miles per hour.

Households with generators powered by gasoline, diesel fuel or natural gas can supply themselves electricity in a limited fashion, but the equipment must be run in a well-ventilated, outdoor space.