Hurricane Ida Update Friday, August 27, 2021 – 6pm
Published 6:07 pm Friday, August 27, 2021
- St. John is currently under Hurricane & Storm Surge Warnings and Flash Flood Watch
- Ida is projected to make landfall as a major hurricane on Sunday bringing the possibility of strong hurricane-force winds, 10 + inches of rainfall, and 4-7 feet of storm surge
- Please finalize hurricane plans and by tomorrow night be where you want to be to ride out the storm. This may include gathering emergency supplies such as flashlights, non-perishable food, water, and batteries for at least 3-5 days.
- Secure outdoor items and loose items in yards.
- Assist with unclogging drains and catch basins at homes.
- Prepare for possible loss of power for an extended period. Download the Entergy APP or dial 800-9-OUTAGE to report outages.
Sandbags sites will reopen Saturday from 9:00 a.m. – until weather permits.
– St. John Community Center
– Railroad Avenue Fire Station (near Riverside Academy)
– Ezekiel Jackson Park
– Juan Anthony Joseph Memorial Park
– Wallace Fire Station
– Lucy Fire Station
– Pleasure Bend Fire Station
Pre-filled sandbags for elderly and disabled:
(Limit 10 pre-filled)
– 425 Captain G. Bourgeois, LaPlace
- All St. John Parish Government Offices and the St. John the Baptist Parish Courthouse are closed Monday, August 30, 2021
- All public, private, and Catholic schools are closed Monday, August 30, 2021
Stay Connected to official sources:
- Sjbparish.gov, Government Access Channel (15/99), Facebook & Instagram.
- Sign up for emergency weather alerts by texting SJPWEATHER to 888-777. ###