Tropical Storm Ida has formed
ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST PARISH — Tropical Storm Ida has formed in the Caribbean. The storm is expected to strengthen into a hurricane, and it could potentially bring tropical storm conditions to St. John the Baptist Parish as early as Saturday night.
Additional changes in the track are possible.
According to the National Hurricane Center’s 4 p.m. advisory, the system is forecast to approach the Louisiana Gulf Coast at or near major hurricane strength on Sunday. There is an increasing risk of life-threatening storm surge, damaging hurricane force winds and heavy rainfall Sunday and Monday. Storm surge and hurricane watches will likely be issued Thursday night or Friday morning.
St. John sandbag locations will open Friday from 9 a.m. until 7 p.m.
(please bring a shovel)
• St. John Community Center – LaPlace
• Railroad Avenue Fire Station (near Riverside Academy) – Reserve
• Ezekiel Jackson Park – Garyville
• Juan Anthony Joseph Memorial Park – Edgard
• Wallace Fire Station
• Lucy Fire Station
• Pleasure Bend Fire Station
Pre-filled sandbags for elderly and disabled:
(Limit 10 pre-filled)
• 425 Captain G. Bourgeois, LaPlace