St. John residents may qualify for energy assistance
LAPLACE — St. John the Baptist Parish residents may be eligible for financial assistance with their utility bills through the Low- Income Home Energy Assistance Program.
LIHEAP services will be provided by St. John Parish Department of Health and Human Services. All applicants must demonstrate permanent residence in St. John Parish, provide outlined benefits below and meet income guidelines identified by the state.
|Size of Household||Monthly Income|
Appointments will be scheduled and assigned by the Department of Health and Human Services’ Phone Bank on Friday, January 29, 2021, starting at 9 a.m. and until all spots are filled. All interested residents should call the Phone Bank at 985-536-1024. St. John Parish residents seeking LIHEAP services will be scheduled through the phone bank appointments only. Department of Health and Human Services staff is unable to accept phone calls or walk-ins at its office location due to the high volume of people seeking program assistance.
Outlined benefits required:
- Income for one month or four consecutive check stubs
- 2. Utility bill (heating/cooling)
- 3. Social Security cards for everyone living in the household
- 4. SNAP recipients must present household electronic notice from (DCFS) Department of Children and Family Services
- 5. Self-employed applicants must provide recent Federal Income Tax return and attached schedules
- 6. Termination records: If applicant is recently terminated or laid off
- 7. ID Picture / Driver’s License
* ID – If your ID doesn’t match your Energy service location address, you must submit another utility bill and another bill including lease agreement or rent receipt to show vulnerability.
In other news, St. John the Baptist Parish’s Health and Human Services Department is additionally offering free, accurate tax preparation to individuals and/or families that qualify and who generally made $57,000 or less during 2020.
To receive an appointment, call the Phone Bank at 985-536-1024 on Monday, Feb. 1. The Phone Bank will be open to make appointments from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m., or until all appointments are filled.
LAPLACE — Within a matter of weeks, approximately 225 families at New Wine Christian Fellowship in LaPlace raised $35,000 to... read more