LWFC Approves Notice of Intent for Hunting Regs, Hunting Seasons and WMA Rules for 2021-22
Published 8:30 am Friday, January 8, 2021
The Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Commission (LWFC) adopted notices of intent for the 2021-22 and 2022-23 hunting seasons, 2021-22 general and Wildlife Management Areas (WMA) hunting seasons and rules and regulations, 2022 general and WMA turkey hunting season and rules and regulations and 2021-22 migratory bird hunting season and rules and regulations at its January meeting Thursday (Jan. 7) in Baton Rouge.
The notices of intent include proposed hunting season dates and regulation changes from the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (LDWF) for the upcoming hunting seasons and provide for a public comment period.
Some of the proposed changes include:
- Clarification on use of legal gear in take of raccoon and opossum to allow use of archery gear and air rifles, which makes legal gear the same as for small game.
- In alignment with HB 159 passed during the 2020 Louisiana legislative session, removes the requirement to obtain a permit from LDWF enforcement in order to take nuisance wildlife and outlaw quadrupeds at night during hunting season on private property.
- Change in tagging requirement that once a harvested deer has been tagged and validated, the hunter will no longer be required to possess antlers or sex organs as long as the tag remains with the carcass. This will allow fewer body parts transported to reduce the movement of potentially CWD infected material.
- Change removing deer validation by LDWF for WMA managed deer hunts. Hunters would have to validate deer harvested on WMA managed hunts. This will reduce the likelihood of double counting.
- Allow tracks to be utilized on ATVs/UTVs on WMA ATV/UTV trails as long as they meet current WMA ATV/UTV length/width requirements.
- Removal of youth lottery deer hunting on Atchafalaya Delta WMA and make it an open youth hunt.
- Removal of mandatory check requirement of all deer and feral hogs harvested on Atchafalaya Delta WMA as it is already a self-clearing permit requirement to check any harvested game.
- Addition of woodcock season on Elbow Slough WMA, which is located within a major winter flyway for woodcock, increasing hunting opportunity.
- Removal of ability to use dogs for small game on Marsh Bayou WMA.
- Change in sport fishing regulation on Pomme de Terre WMA to allow sport fishing after 10 a.m. during September teal season.
- Closure of waterfowl hunting at 2 p.m. on Salvador/Timken WMA.
- Move Washington and St. Tammany parishes into Area A for turkey season.
- Closing turkey season in that portion of East Carroll Parish previously open.
To view the full notice of intent and all proposed hunting season dates and regulation changes for the upcoming hunting seasons, go to https://www.wlf.louisiana.
Public comment will be accepted through 9 p.m. on March 4, 2021. It will also be accepted at LWFC monthly meetings from now through March 4. Comments may be submitted directly to Tommy Tuma, LDWF Wildlife Division, P.O. Box 98000, Baton Rouge, LA. 70898-9000 or 225-765-2349 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
LDWF will also hold a public meeting on the NOI via Zoom at a date and time to be announced at the February Commission meeting.
For more information, contact Tommy Tuma at 225-765-2349 or email@example.com.