St. Peter School celebrates 90 years
RESERVE — St. Peter Catholic School in Reserve is Monsignor Jean Eyraud’s dream brought to life. Through hard work and prayer, Eyraud opened the school on Sept. 1, 1930.
For the past 90 years, St. Peter School has united family and community while providing the best in Catholic education for students in Pre-K 2 through seventh grade. The school has always believed in the message that love of Christ is reflected in worship, prayer and service.
The school was initially under the leadership of the Dominican Sisters, who remained there until the first lay principal took over in 1976.
The 2020-2021 kindergarten class made 90th Anniversary candle necklaces earlier this month in honor of the momentous milestone. Students wore special bracelets for the anniversary, which began with the seventh graders leading a morning prayer service at Eyraud’s grave.
The St. Peter family and alumni wore special 90th Anniversary T-shirts to show their Ram pride. Each T-shirt depicted a photo of the Msgr. Jean Eyraud Oak Tree #3054 that is located in St. peter Cemetery and registered with the Live Oak Society. The St. Peter School building and Eyraud’s picture are also featured on the Anniversary T-shirt.
Students at St. Peter School develop a Catholic identity through attending Mass, weekly Confession and monthly Adoration. The Angelus is prayed daily at lunch, and religious statues and crucifixes are displayed throughout the school.
Each day begins with prayer during assembly and ends with prayer at dismissal, including the repeated mission sentence, “What do we do at St. Peter School? Live, love and learn as Jesus did.”
St. Peter Catholic School is located at 188 W. Seventh Street in Reserve.