St. John under Freeze Warning through Thursday morning
Published 2:56 pm Wednesday, November 14, 2018
LAPLACE — The National Weather Service in New Orleans has issued a Freeze Warning through 9 a.m. Thursday for St. John the Baptist Parish.
Temperatures are expected to drop to 28 degrees in most of the area early Thursday morning for a brief period of time.
Ensure you properly protect plants, pipes & pets using these tips:
• All exposed pipes should be insulated and shielded from the wind. The supply line must be protected by wrapping with insulation, newspaper or old clothing.
• Keep your pets inside with you and your family. Under no circumstances should pet be left outdoors, even if they roam outside during other seasons.
• Bring in plants and sensitive vegetation or cover with blankets and other insulators.
• Keep items that can catch on fire at least three feet away from anything that gets hot, such as space heaters.
• Turn portable heaters off when you leave the room or go to sleep.
Customers who feel the need to leave water running during freezing weather should only do this during freezing temperatures for more than six hours and only on one faucet furthest away from the water main. When conditions improve turn water off. St. John recommends that water pipes be insulated and shielded as the primary means of protection and that residents only use flushing as a last resort.
Parish crews have winterized Parish facilities and Utilities and Public Works systems. In addition, winter weather equipment, personnel and resources are on standby for the event. Please remember to dial 911 to report any issues.
Please also visit sjbparish.com and click on “Stay Connected” to sign up for Parish emergency alerts.
— Submitted by St. John Communications.