St. Charles Catholic homecoming wins all around
LAPLACE — St. Charles Catholic High School students and alumni recently celebrated homecoming. The opening prayer was led by SCC Student Council Vice President, Kehara Hill, and the singing of the National Anthem was sung by English teacher, Creative Writing Club Sponsor, Retreat Team Sponsor, Starstepper Sponsor, and a graduate of the Class of 2009, Carly Trepagnier Flynn.
Before the game, the celebration included an alumni cook-off, a motorcade featuring the homecoming court wearing suits and riding in shiny convertibles, and the crowning of the homecoming queen took place at halftime. The SCC Homecoming Court members were chosen by a vote of the student body.
The SCC Homecoming Court and Alumni Escorts included Eighth Graders Jenna Bosco escorted by Mr. Colin Bosco, Class of 2014, and Camryn Triche escorted by Marty Duhon, Class of 1987; Freshman Julia Gilberti, escorted by Brennan Gilberti, Class of 2017, and Allison Powell escorted by Thomas Malik, Class of 1981; Sophomores Melody Newsome, escorted by Dylan Bardell, Class of 2012, and Alexis Jones escorted by Brandon Simmons, Class of 1996; Juniors Morgan Figuero escorted by Ty Monica, Class of 1998, and Wintress Landry, escorted by Hernandez Robottom, Class of 1977.
Alumni also escorted the six senior members of the 2018 Homecoming Court. The senior court members and their escorts included Bailey Bourgeois, escorted by Adam Williams, Class of 1993; Keri Clement, escorted by Luke Jackson, Class of 2013; Sara Guidry, escorted by Mr. Edwin “Jay” Guidry IV, Class of 2002; Maddie Millet, escorted by Jared Tregre, Class of 2013; Brooke St. Pierre escorted by Justin Chauvin, Class of 2001; and Kelsie Williams escorted by Drew Pregeant, Class of 1991.
Senior Bailey Bourgeois, daughter of Curt and Tiffanie Bourgeois, was crowned queen at halftime. She has been a three-year member of the Art Club and the swim team. Bailey is also in Student Council, and on the Pep Rally Committee, tennis team, and track team.
“Being crowned homecoming queen is an amazing honor,” Bailey said. “I can’t express my gratitude enough for my family and friends constantly supporting me. Thank you to my peers and the student body for giving me this great opportunity to represent the school. SCC has truly become my 2nd family. Go Comets!”
Senior Keri Clement, daughter of Jane and Darren Clement, was named as the Maid of Honor. She has been a member of the Stagehands for the past four years and is also a member of Student Council, French Club, Ambassadors, Retreat Team and Pep Rally Committee and is a Eucharistic Minister and also Captain of the Starsteppers.
The football team had a big win over Lusher for Homecoming 2018.
SCC Alumni Cook-off delivers for community’s taste buds
The 10th annual SCC Alumni Cook-off has grown over the years and is always one of the most popular activities of Homecoming.
Proceeds from the cook-off go to the SCC Alumni Association.
This year’s cook-off winners were the Murphys (and Whoever Shows Up) sponsored by Mike and Giselle Murphy. The winning dish was fried crawfish etoufee balls with remoulade sauce.
A special thank you to other chefs and their sponsors:
• Tanya Daniels (Class of 1993). Sponsor: B&R Trucklines. Dish: lemon peppered grilled fish.
• Lori Roussel, Terry Toler, and Mona Roussel (Class of 1988). Sean Roussel, Susie Bourgeois, and Scott Simoneaux (Class of 1987). Sponsor: Laplace Frostop. Dish: Dirty Grits.
• Jeff James & Matt Entremont, Class of 1998. Sponsor: Vinyl Tech. Dish: Corn Soup
• Wesley Fontenot (Class of 1996). Sponsor: 360 Catering, Jim Keller & San Francisco Plantation. Dish: Shrimp & Grits
• Brock Anderson, Ken LeBlanc, and Len LeBlanc (Class of 1996). Sponsor: Retirement Planning Partners & ML Dental. Dish: Fish Tacos
• Angie Martin, Stacey Heltz, and Kodi Duhon (Class of 1994). Sponsor: Retirement Planning Partners & ML Dental. Dish: Fried Fish topped with Shrimp Etouffee.
• Dennille Monica (Class of 1997) and Christine Stein, Class of 2005. Sponsor: The Coaches’ Wives – Dennille Monica, Christine Stein, Ashley King, Melissa Roussel, and Dawn Brown. Dishes: Pasta St. John and Pulled Pork Sliders.
• D.J. Chauvin (Class of 1994), Jason Fabre (Class of 1994), and Justin Chauvin (Class of 2001). Dish: Chicken Sauce Picante.
• Kelly Arnett (Class of 1997), Stacy Tribe (Class of 1991), and Jamie Jones (Class of 2005). Sponsor: ICELA. Dish: Jambalaya.
• Sue Louque of Paulina. She is married to Danny and is he mother/mother-in-law of Ty & Dennille Monica and granny to Riley (Class of 2021). Sue loves coming to support SCC any chance she gets and wears her blue & gold proudly.
• St. John the Baptist Parish President Natalie Robottom. She has been a supporter of SCC since her two children became Comets. She was recently selected as American City & County Elected Official of the Year.
• Richard Klibert is a long time supporter of St. Charles Catholic with three children who graduated as Comets in the classes of 1992, 1996 and 1998. Klibert was the CEO & President of Diversified Well Logging for 26 years, retiring just over a year ago.
• Cory Gaudet is an equipment manager for the New Orleans Saints Organization. He contributes to SCC whenever we need anything and heavily contributes to the annual SCC Ray Laiche Memorial Golf Tournament.
• Za Maurin is District 5 Justice of the Peace. He is the leader of Keep St. John Beautiful and retired Captain from the St. John Parish Sheriff’s Office.
LAPLACE — A local man is facing dozens of counts related to the illegal filming of a child, authorities said.... read more