Family of 3 uninjured following Reserve home fire

Published 12:09 am Saturday, November 10, 2018

RESERVE — Fire Services responded to a home fire at 134 E. 20th Street in Reserve.

At 8:07 a.m. Monday, Fire Services received a call of heavy smoke in a residence, originating near the dryer. The resident reported she was doing laundry at the time.

Three fire engines arrived on scene at 8:13 a.m. and did a quick knockdown on the fire, which had spread to the kitchen and living area. Heavy smoke damage impacted the bedrooms and other areas of the household.

At least three individuals reside in the home, according to Dufrene, and none were inside during the response.

“Red Cross was called to assist with vouchers and find the family a place to stay, if needed,”Cain Dufrene, chief of operations for St. John Parish Office of Fire Services, said.

It’s been a busy two weeks for St. John Fire Services, which has responded to five structure fires from the end of October through Nov. 5.

Dufrene said the 2018 average has been one structure fire response per week.

“We typically see more fires from heating sources being turned on for the first time in the winter, but that’s not what any of these fires were,” Dufrene said.

“Two were for sure electrical, and one was a dryer. There’s really no trend between them. You can call it a coincidence that it’s happening at the same time.”