Stalking arrest ends in harassment plea for local man

Published 12:06 am Wednesday, January 11, 2017

EDGARD — A LaPlace man faces two years of probation and more than $1,800 in fines following a year-plus criminal court process stemming from a 2015 stalking and attempted home invasion arrest.

Kyle Mitchell pleaded guilty Dec. 12 to telephone harassment. Authorities began their case against the LaPlace resident after responding to a 28-year-old female victim’s March 29, 2015, complaint that Mitchell was making threatening and harassing overtures.

St. John the Baptist Parish Sheriff’s Office deputies eventually located and arrested Mitchell in the 2200 block of Cambridge Drive. He was booked with resisting arrest by refusing to identify, simple assault, harassing phone calls, criminal damage to property, attempted home invasion and two counts of stalking.

“On March 5, (2015) deputies viewed the victim’s cell phone log and verified that Mitchell called the victim approximately 25 times and texted her several times,” Sgt. Dane Clement said. “No physical injuries were reported in any of the incidents.”

District Attorney Bridget A. Dinvaut said the case went through various charges and continuances due to concern for the defendant’s sanity and competency.

According to Dinvaut, prosecutors lost contact with the victim during the criminal justice process, with the victim no longer indicating to authorities she wanted to enthusiastically participate in the process.

“A lot of times our victims become very frustrated,” Dinvaut said. “It’s a long process, especially when you have complications of sanity and competency because the judge has to take an extra step. Then you have to get the coroner and other doctors involved.

“(The victim) just wanted him to stay away from her. With respect to the victim’s wishes as she previously stated to us when we were communicating with her, we allowed (Mitchell) to plead guilty to the misdemeanor offense.”

According to Dinvaut, Mitchell is serving two years of active supervised probation with a stay-away order from the victim.

“We are satisfied that justice was served with this particular case,” the District Attorney said. “The Court also ordered him to continue his medical treatment and follow his doctor’s orders regarding his medication and mental health treatment. In that respect, we addressed that situation with all of its complications in the best way the criminal justice system could.”

Mitchell was ordered to pay a $1,000 fine, $315 in court costs and a $550 public defender’s fee. All other charges were dropped.