Reserve man’s murder charges dropped

Published 12:06 am Saturday, January 23, 2016

LAPLACE — Charges of first-degree murder and attempted first-degree murder have been dropped against a Reserve man arrested last year, Sheriff Mike Tregre confirmed Friday morning.

Derrence Greenup, 29, was arrested in October, his apprehension much ballyhooed at the time by authorities who linked the suspect to the killings of Travis Gregoire, 23, of LaPlace and Sierra Gregoire, 18, of LaPlace.

“We had a meeting with the District Attorney’s office,” Tregre said. “More investigating needed to be done, so we are still investigating. I can’t release anything because I don’t want to jeopardize the case.”

Travis Gregoire and Sierra Gregoire died Oct. 4 after a barrage of gunfire erupted at approximately 1:50 a.m. in the 400 block of State Street in LaPlace.

A third victim, a 23-year-old man, was injured and taken to University Medical Center in New Orleans.

Tregre said he won’t release why the charges were dropped, adding the case is still being investigated, adding authorities are investigating Greenup, as well as other possible suspects.

Tregre would not comment on his feelings about the charges being dropped.

“All I can say is that we are still investigating,” he said.

According to the New Orleans Advocate, Greenup remains behind bars on unrelated weapons charges, and he also remains wanted by New Orleans police for illegal carrying of a firearm.

Attempts Friday morning to reach St. John the Baptist Parish District Attorney Bridget Dinvaut for comment were unsuccessful.

Authorities said they believe a white pick-up truck drove up and opened fire when the victims arrived to the location in a vehicle of their own and were exiting the vehicle.

A white truck believed to be involved in the shooting was discovered two days later after it was set on fire in Reserve.

Authorities said it is unknown how many occupants were in the truck. Authorities did not release information on how many gunshots were fired and what types of weapons were involved.

Numerous law enforcement agencies and police officers helped arrest Greenup when he was apprehended without incident near Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport in Kenner, Tregre saud.

Detectives and personnel from the U.S. Marshals’ Fugitive Task Force, U.S. Secret Service, U.S. Homeland Security, Kenner Police Department, U.S. Customs and Border Patrol Air Wing with air support aided in the arrest because their assistance was requested.

At the time of this arrest, investigators said Greenup had no family ties with the two deceased victims — who were cousins.