Parish finalizes annual contracts

Published 11:45 pm Tuesday, December 2, 2014

By Monique Roth

LAPLACE — The St. John the Baptist Parish Finance Committee awarded several annual contracts last week, a move Parish President Natalie Robottom said is advantageous for the entire parish.

“Finalizing annual contracts prior to the end of the year is important for continuity of services,” Robottom said. “Having contracts in place for routine purchases improves efficiencies and saves money.”

The Committee awarded 2015 annual contracts, as well as contracts for title and legal services for four Community Development Block Grant Housing Programs designed to assist the needs of low-to-moderate income residents and those who sustained property damage during Hurricane Isaac and construction of Phases I and II of a multi-million dollar sewer lift station project.

Based on results of the bid process, the Committee approved contracts for culverts, water and sewer fittings and bunker gear for firefighters.

Title and legal services related to the CDBG Housing Programs were awarded to Bayou Title Incorporated of Gretna and Team Title LLC of Covington.

Team Title will manage applications in the homeowner rehabilitation program for an amount not to exceed $73,918.85, and Bayou Title will manage applications for the housing elevation program, homebuyer assistance program and small rental rehabilitation program in an amount not to exceed $78,451.66.

A project to repair 12 lift stations, which received electrical and mechanical damage during Hurricane Isaac in 2012, was awarded to Fleming Construction LLC of Kenner in the amount of $2.8 million.

Phase I of the project will include six lift stations in the amount of $1.7 million, and Phase II of the project will include the remaining six lift stations in the amount of $1.1 million.

Overall, the project will consist of replacing 24 self-priming pumps and motors with 24 submersible pumps. Electrical components will be removed from underground locations and relocated to above-ground locations to prevent future flooding.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency will cover 75 percent of the project’s cost, with the parish covering the remaining 25 percent through the 2010 Bond Issue.