Update: Teenagers arrested after theft at East St. John High

Published 12:04 pm Wednesday, August 6, 2014

By Monique Roth

LAPLACE — A group of teenagers was arrested after authorities said speakers were stolen from East St. John High School.

St. John the Baptist Parish Sheriff’s Office deputies responded to the 1700 block of Creole Street at 3:16 p.m. Monday following a report of several juveniles seen leaving East St. John High School with what appeared to be loud speakers.

Creole Street is in Belle Pointe subdivision, which is in walking distance from the school.

According to a Sheriff’s Office release, deputies located a group of juveniles who matched the description provided by the caller.

“When the deputy stopped to ask the juveniles about the loud speakers, two of the juveniles, both 14-years-old, admitted to taking the speakers from East St. John High School,” a release from the Sheriff’s Office said. “A third juvenile, 15-years-old, admitted to going to the school but not taking anything.”

Authorities said while a deputy investigated, a 16-year-old juvenile exited a residence and asked why his brother was being arrested.

“The deputy told the juvenile to step back, and he would explain everything to him when he was finished talking to the other juveniles on the scene,” the release said. “The juvenile refused to follow the deputy’s orders and continued to interfere with the investigation.”

According to the release, the deputy arrested and booked the 16-year-old with interfering with a law-enforcement investigation.

Authorities said two juveniles were arrested and booked with criminal trespassing and possession of stolen things. A third juvenile was arrested and booked with criminal trespassing.

Additional charges are pending based on the findings of the investigation, authorities said.

Sgt. Dane Clement said two of the juveniles were released to their parents, while the other two juveniles were sent to the Assumption Parish Juvenile Detention Center.

Clement said on Thursday the two juveniles remained at the center.