Comets dominate again, shut out McMain

Published 4:02 am Saturday, October 26, 2013


LAPLACE — The St. Charles Catholic defense hasn’t allowed offensive points in eight quarters and counting.

But it took just a quarter and a half for Comet tailback Erron Lewis to tally four touchdowns on Friday night.

Lewis and his SCC teammates celebrated homecoming in style with a 41-0 victory over McMain at Thomas Dupuy Stadium.

The Comets scored on all five of their first half possessions and Eric Lewis returned the opening kickoff of the second half for a touchdown.

Both Erron Lewis and Justin Loupe topped 100 yards rushing on the night.

“Our blockers were great tonight,” said Lewis. “They were blocking downfield. We expected a challenge tonight, but our offensive line really came to play.”

Said SCC coach Frank Monica, “Erron has really learned to practice and the way to prepare to be a great running back.”

McMain quarterback Omari Jones led Louisiana in passing entering the game, but St. Charles held him to just 90 yards through the air.

“We sold out on the pass tonight,” said St. Charles coach Frank Monica. “Last week we sold out on the run. McMain brought an explosive passing offense … once we got a little separation, we made them one-dimensional and we were able to focus on stopping that dimension.”

Lewis’ first touchdown run came from 13 yards out after the Comets (5-3, 2-1) stopped McMain (5-3, 1-2) on the Mustangs’ first possession.

After forcing a three-and-out, SCC took over in plus-territory on the McMain 47. On third-and-1, quarterback Austin Weber took off up the middle and gained 32 yards, setting up a 5-yard Lewis toss for a score with 3:15 left in the first quarter, making it 14-0.

The Comet defense sacked Mustangs quarterback Omari Jones twice on McMain’s next possession to force a punt. The Comets again got the ball in McMain territory, taking over on the Mustangs 48. A 24-yard Weber pass to Lewis proved the drive’s brightest highlight — Lewis carried a slew of McMain defenders with him for extra yardage — before he punched in his third scoring run of the night, a 2-yarder that made it 21-0 with 10:43 left in the second quarter.

Lewis’ fourth touchdown came on a sweep at the 6:47 mark of the second quarter, from 13 yards out.

After Justin Dubose forced a McMain fumble, SCC took over at the McMain 16. Justin Loupe carried three times for a score to make it 35-0.

SCC rushed for 291 yards on the night.