Parents, friends try to make child’s dream reality

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, May 30, 2012


RESERVE — When 9-year-old Reserve-native Tyler Cambre took a trip to the eye doctor, he thought he might need glasses.

But neither he nor his family could have had any idea of what lay ahead. Something more was wrong, something beyond a vision issue.

An astrocytoma tumor was discovered in Cambre’s brain last month, and it was determined that he’d need surgery. Cambre underwent the operation April 25, but surgeons could only remove 80 percent of the tumor — the other 20 percent was considered to be inoperable.

“He’s been going through a lot,” said his mother, Kerry Cambre. “It’s just been a tough, tough time.”

Cambre is scheduled to travel to Memphis with his family in the coming weeks to undergo treatment at St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital, a facility focused on children’s catastrophic diseases. There, they will learn if radiation treatment is a viable option.

People are not turning a blind eye to Tyler’s plight, however, as some are reaching out.

One such person is Genevieve Curley, who works with Kerry at St. Catherine’s Hospice. In conversations between the two, Kerry revealed that one of Tyler’s most desired wishes is to visit Walt Disney World for the first time.

But especially given their current medical expenses, it isn’t a viable trip at this time for the family.

Enter Curley, who is seeking a way to raise the funds necessary to help Tyler’s wish come to pass.

“She had said that he wanted to go to Disney World. She can’t afford to send him,” said Curley. “I’d like to do something to help if I can.”

Curley said she’s not sure of where to turn for assistance and is hopeful someone can lend a helping hand in getting the effort off the ground.

“I think it would really raise his spirits,” said Curley. “When she started talking about it, it really made me want to do what I can to help grant his wish.

“But I’m not sure how to go about it. I’ve never really done something like this before.”

Tyler is a student at Riverside Academy. Kerry said he loves playing football and baseball — the latter kicking off these days.

But Tyler has been sidelined.

“He feels like his life is on hold,” said Cambre.

She said that the community has been extremely supportive of her son in this trying time.

“Everyone has really reached out and supported us,” she said. “It’s been phenomenal. There are a lot of good people in our community who want to help.”

Curley said that if anyone would like to help, she can be reached at 985-233-0321.