No arrests made during du Monde
Published 12:00 am Saturday, February 25, 2012
By ROBIN SHANNON
LAPLACE – In addition to rolling under clear skies Sunday, the Krewe du Monde parade wound its way through LaPlace streets without any major incident or arrest, St. John Sheriff Wayne Jones said Wednesday.
Jones said in an email that the parade rolled on schedule Sunday afternoon and that he was pleased to see families and friends experience the parade safely and peacefully.
“There were absolutely no arrests at all,” said Capt. Dane Clement, spokesman for the Sheriff’s Office. “We saw no fights and no drunken activity of any kind. People were having a good time, and I think they appreciated the police presence.”
Clement said more than 100 deputies, including reserve and volunteer deputies from the Louisiana Sheriff’s Association Task Force, scattered throughout the route to assist in crowd control and traffic flow throughout the procession.
The Sheriff’s Office also deployed its “eye in the sky” mobile command unit at Airline Highway and Carrollwood Drive as an added safety element.
Clement said deputies working the parade last year logged only two misdemeanor arrests along the route. “It is normal for things to be quiet,” Clement said. “It’s part of the family element of the LaPlace parade.”