Comets stop Pelicans’ roll, but Hall sidelined

Published 12:00 am Saturday, October 15, 2011



Much like it did a week ago against Donaldsonville, St. Charles led by 13 at halftime at Port Allen Friday night.

And much like a week ago, the Comets blew the game wide open in the second half.

SCC rolled up 444 yards of total offense, including 355 on the ground, and outscored Port Allen 35-0 in the second half to take a 48-0 victory, ending the Pelicans undefeated run at six games.

Meanwhile, SCC’s own streak continues, as 3A’s top-ranked team has now rolled up seven straight wins. The Comet defense secured its third shutout and its fourth game in which it allowed no offensive points. SCC has allowed just 25 total points this season.

Port Allen accumulated 69 yards on the ground and 123 through the air.

Lazedrick Thompson had yet another huge night for SCC, scoring four times and rushing for 209 yards on 23 carries.

That output was bittersweet in a way for the Comets, however; Thompson carried the full load in the stead of teammate Marcus Hall. Hall, who rushed twice for 50 yards and a score himself, was sidelined with an arm injury in the first quarter. SCC coach Frank Monica said that the extent of Hall’s injury had not yet been determined.

SCC allowed just three Pelicans’ first downs after halftime.

Hall started the scoring off on a 47-yard touchdown run to make it 7-0 in the first quarter.

Thompson would score from 15 yards away to put SCC ahead 13-0. Port Allen was able to control the ball for much of the first half, however; SCC’s defense in the redzone, as it was against Donaldsonville, was unforgiving, stopping the Pelicans twice inside the Comet 5.

“We weren’t playing with a lot of energy (in the first half),” said St. Charles coach Frank Monica. “They first-downed us to death and consumed clock.”

But once the second half began, the floodgates opened. SCC has only been shutout of the endzone once this season on its opening drive of the second half, and that came in a game against Jeanerette in which the SCC second team had already come on. Friday saw another quick score as Thompson rushed for his second 15-yard touchdown of the night. He’d add a 2-yarder later in the quarter to make it 27-0.

Donnie Savoie connected with Sammy Miller for a 39-yard score to make it 34-0. Thompson would add a 4-yarder, and Jeffrey Hall took back one of his two interceptions on the night for a 34-yard touchdown.

Mackey Cortez also hauled in an interception, as SCC finished with three on the night.

“In the second half, we woke up,” he said. “We decided to play a little harder. Port Allen didn’t make it easy, but we forced some turnovers and gave ourselves some breathing room,” said Monica.