Corps to allow access to spillway only for ATVs for crawfishing

Published 12:00 am Friday, May 23, 2008

NEW ORLEANS—The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers will issue Special Use Permits allowing the public to access designated areas of the spillway using All Terrain Vehicles (ATV’s) for recreational crawfishing starting for one month on May 19.   

ATV’s will be permitted only for crawfishing, fishing and crabbing in an effort to accommodate the public demand. This measure will allow access to areas that were impacted during the recent spillway opening.

Road conditions are poor and the use of ATV’s will reduce further road damage. Roads will eventually be repaired and rocked for car and truck access. ATV operators and passengers must wear a DOT approved helmet and must possess the necessary gear for fishing.

ATV’s will not be permitted on levees or in the St. Charles Parish recreation and campground area. Joyriding will not be permitted and violators will be issued citations.

The designated ATV areas will be opened for general ATV riding as soon as trail repairs are completed.  

A special use permit and map showing designated parking areas can be obtained at the Bonnet Carré Spillway office or from one of the Corps park rangers.

For more information and directions to the spillway, please visit the Corps recreation program site at