St. Charles clinches share of third straight district crown

Published 12:00 am Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Lambert-Oswald scores two as Comets down E.D. White, 2-1


Sports Editor

St. Charles’ streak of consecutive district championships will continue on – only this time, the school has company.

Peter Lambert-Oswald scored two goals as the Comets defeated E.D. White 2-1 on Sunday afternoon at St. Charles. In doing so, SCC secured a share of the District 7-III championship with the Cardinals.

It marks the third straight district championship for the Comets.

E.D. White (10-6-4, 5-1) defeated St. Charles 4-1 in the first meeting between the teams this season, on Jan. 15.

The teams elected to flip a coin after the match to determine who will represent the district as the top seed in the state playoffs. St. Charles (13-10, 5-1) won the toss, and will be treated as the top team from 7-III.

Lambert-Oswald’s goal in the match’s 55th minute gave the Comets a 2-1 lead.

“I just saw an opening between two players and shot it right in the corner,” said Lambert-Oswald. “I was surprised to make it.”

After that, St. Charles increased its defensive intensity.

“We wanted to pressure them, make them a bit nervous,” said Lambert-Oswald. “We played great defense at the end. Our pressure opened our offense up.”

Said St. Charles coach Rick Woodroof: “After we got the lead, our guys decided to drop back and be more defensive minded. That’s what makes this such a good game, the players communicate on the field and make adjustments.”

E.D. White’s last real chance to tie the game came in the match’s 76th minute, when the Cardinals’ Beau Cheramie got a good look at the goal. But SCC goalkeeper Corey Crowder notched the save, and effectively secured the win.

“We had more shots, but the only ones that count are the ones that go in,” said E.D. White Coach Roger Bimah. “Soccer’s an unforgiving game, and when you make mistakes against a solid team, it costs you.”

The Comets had opportunities to score early in the game, but two good looks by Michael Weber didn’t go – one saved by Cardinal keeper Daniel Pharo, the other just going wide-right.

But St. Charles took a 1-0 lead in the 27th minute of the match when Lambert-Oswald scored on a header after a corner-throw in.

The Cardinals answered shortly. In the 32nd minute, Nick Duet scored, finding the upper right corner of the Comets’ net to tie the game.

But from there, the Cardinals were held scoreless. While they got a number of solid looks in the second half, Woodroof was able to make a handful of key saves.