E.D. White secures district title with win over SCC

Published 12:00 am Tuesday, January 29, 2008


Sports Editor

Mindi Giroir scored two goals to lead E.D. White as it clinched the District 7-III championship at St. Charles on Sunday, defeating the Comets 2-0.

It snaps St. Charles’s streak of consecutive district crowns at two.

“St. Charles is always a tough game,” said E.D. White Coach Don Grabert. “It was very hard fought.”

E.D. White also defeated the Comets on Jan. 15, in the first meeting between the teams.

Each team will qualify for the playoffs, which begin this week.

St. Charles controlled possession for most of the second half, but the Cardinals’ defense played back and gave St. Charles few clean looks at the goal.

“We just couldn’t score,” said St. Charles Coach Don Peyton. “We out shot them 9-4 in the first half, but we just couldn’t get one to go.

“I don’t think there’s much difference between these teams. Both are good, and nobody quit. Our girls gave 100%.”

E.D. White was able to focus on Comets leading scorer Reyna Lubin, who was able to muster some shots on goal, but none coming uncontested.

“They’ve got a very good forward in (Lubin),” said Grabert. “I thought we played very good defense, holding them to no goals in these games.”

Giroir’s scored her first goal in the first half on a high kick from far out, that just escaped the grasp of leaping SCC goalkeeper Kristen Carrier.

The Cardinals almost added another goal in the match’s 46th minute, after breaking away three-on-one. But the Comets’ Rikki Bratcher was able to break up the first attempt, then Kristine Brouwer did the same on a follow-up attempt.

Lubin was able to get a solid shot off shortly after, but Cardinals goalkeeper Lindsay Constant saved it from tying the game.

In the 62nd minute, the Comets’ Jessica Rauch got her own shot off, but again, Constant answered and kept her team on top.

In the 62nd minute though, Giroir came through for the second time for her team, scoring in nearly identical fashion to her first, on a high, arcing shot.

St. Charles’ final scoring chance came on a free kick by Lubin near the E.D. White box. It was too high.

“We just couldn’t get one in,” said Rauch. “We did our best. We just have to put this behind us and get ready for the playoffs.”