Comets second half surge enough to down Port Allen, 43-12

Published 12:00 am Tuesday, November 13, 2007


Sports Editor

After a tough loss in its district opener to Lutcher, St. Charles seems to be hitting its stride as the postseason looms.

After convincing victories over Pope John Paul and Brusly, the Comets made it three straight Friday night, topping Port Allen on the road by a score of 43-12.

While St. Charles only led by five at the half, 17-12, the Comets blew it open in the second half.

“First of all, our special teams did a great job, especially giving our offense some short fields to work with,” said St. Charles Coach Frank Monica. “It was a good mixture of all three phases. We had some big offensive plays and some key turnovers forced defensively to help us put the game away.”

Jonathan Cancienne rushed 20 times for 112 yards and a touchdown for St. Charles (6-3, 2-1), while hauling in four passes for 58 yards and a touchdown. Vincent Rollo completed 10-of-18 passes for 141 yards and three touchdowns, with two interceptions.

“We didn’t throw it a lot,” Monica said. “But we did enough to be effective.”

Rollo and the Comets struck first in the game, as he found Devin Snyder from nine yards away for the game’s first touchdown, making it 7-0.

Christopher Ilski would add a 40-yard field goal to make it 10-0. Rollo would later find Cancienne for a 20-yard touchdown to put St. Charles comfortably ahead, 17-0.

But Port Allen (4-5, 0-3) stormed back into the game with two touchdowns before halftime, to cut it to 17-12.

“We weren’t executing,” Monica said. “We let them back in it.”

St. Charles wasted no time in the second half reestablishing control of the game, though. Rollo found Jason Ray for a 23-yard touchdown to make it 24-12. Then Cancienne scored his second touchdown of the game on a six yard run to put St. Charles ahead by 18, 30-12.

Ray would score in the fourth quarter from six yards out himself, to make it 37-12.

Finally, Rollo made a defensive impact, returning an interception for a touchdown on the game’s very last play. SCC did not attempt an extra point.

“We had a few big plays,” Monica said. “A Justin Vicknair interception set us up early on. Corey Reed played very well, as did Nick Reine on defense.”

“Bottom line, we played with a sense of urgency in the second half.”