SCC fends off Curtis

Published 12:00 am Monday, March 19, 2007


Sports Editor

St. Charles and John Curtis got their first district baseball meeting out of the way Thursday afternoon in LaPlace in typical fashion for the district rivals.

It was a Comet victory this time around, but a tense one as SCC saw their comfortable three run lead disappear on a two run homer in the top of the seventh. But reliever B.J. Cancienne came in and got the final three outs to preserve the 4-3 win for the Comets.

Steven Duhe had the Patriots in check for most of the game, spreading out nine strikeouts through his 6 plus innings. He held the Curtis batters hitless through four innings and scoreless through six. With the win, Duhe went to 3-1 from the mound this year.

The district win for SCC was their second this year through two games. On Tuesday, St. Charles took a 15-3 win over Donaldsonville Tuesday where Jonathan Cancienne led the Comets from the batter’s box, reaching base on all four at-bats with three hits. It was a big fifth inning that clinched it for St. Charles as the Comets went through their entire batting order after they were sparked by a two-RBI hit by Jordan Millet.

St. Charles held Donaldsonville to three hits with Marco Picciola on the mound as he struck out six.

In Thursday’s game, SCC riled the home crowd up with a pair of runs to open the game in the bottom of the first. It started with a walk to Millet, which he turned into a run by stealing second and taking third on an error. Philip Sutton came up next and also took a walk, which he too turned into a score by taking advantage of an infield overthrow at second and a passed ball to get home.

The push in the third inning featured Jonathan Cancienne taking a walk to open the side. Sutton put down a sacrifice grounder that advanced him and Millet laid down a picture perfect bunt to put Cancienne

at third. The Comets scored Cancienne on a squeeze play as Millet headed to second and Cancienne raced home as the throw left the catcher.

From there, Curtis made a pitching change and SCC was held in check for the next two innings.