State fire marshall urges fireplace, heater safety

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, December 28, 2005


Staff Reporter

BATON ROUGE — ‘Tis the season to stay warm and the Louisiana Fire Marshall’s office has a few tips for you to stay safe while fighting off the frost.

A fireplace can be a great way to enjoy a cold day but without proper maintenance it can easily be a hazard.

&#8220You should keep combustibles at least three feet away from fireplaces and portable heaters,” Educator for the La. State Fire Marshall Nathan McCallum said.

Do not underestimate the importance of having your fireplace cleaned annually, McCallum noted.

&#8220The buildup from not having it (the fireplace) cleaned can cause a fire in the chimney that you can’t see or put out,” McCallum said.

Fireworks are also very popular this time of year and the Louisiana State Fire Marshall’s Office has only one thing to say about it.

&#8220Generally our stance on fireworks is that they’re dangerous and don’t use them.”