East St. John blows past Hahnville, 35-20

Published 12:00 am Monday, October 10, 2005


Managing Editor

RESERVE — Cool weather had struck and football fever was in the air, as East St. John rolled past the visiting Hahnville Tigers, sending them packing after a 35-20 victory.

The Wildcats took it to their foes early, taking the opening kickoff and driving to the Tiger 7 yard line before Stanley Jackson lost a touchdown bid by having the ball knocked from his hands just shy of the goal line and possession taken away.

Hahnville also recovered another fumble on the next Wildcat possession, but the first quarter ended scoreless.

East St. John scored early in the second quarter on a four-yard smash by Johnny Owen. The PAT by Radi Jabouri was good for the 7-0 lead with 11:04 left to the half.

A hard hit on Hahnville quarterback Early-Larry James caused him to cough up the ball to Kalen Collins, which set up a 26-yard field goal try by the Wildcats. However, that attempt faded wide.

On their next possession, Owen rolled in untouched on a seven-yard dash for the TD with 4:17 remaining and the 14-0 lead.

However, Hahnville returned with a series with more missed passes than successful ones. One, though, was enough, to Laron Byrd, who flew into the Wildcats end zone to put the Tigers on the board. The PAT by Devin Samaha was good for the 14-7 tally with 2:44 remaining in the half.

In the second half, quarterback Ricky Dixon came into the game and led a third-quarter drive which went from their own 10-yard line to the next touchdown.

The ball was handed off to Johnny Owen, who got a five-yard lead on his pursuers, and blasted 90 yards upfield for the touchdown. The PAT made the score 21-7 with 4:34 remaining in the third quarter.

A fumble recovery in Hahnville’s favor set up their next score, which came off a 15-yard pass from James to Brian Singleton with 2:14 remaining in the third period.

The PAT was good, and Hahnville narrowed the gap to 21-14 – still in the Wildcats’ favor.

East St. John’s reaction was swift. The kickoff set the drive to start at the Wildcat 20-yard line. Dixon carried to the 28, Owen carried to the 30, and Dixon broke loose from the Tiger secondary and scored on a 70-yard run with 1:01 remaining in the third quarter. The PAT made the score 28-14.

An ESJ punt attempt was blown dead at the Wildcat 26, setting up Hahnville for a quick scoreon a pass to Singleton with 9:12 remaining. The PAT was wide, leaving the Wild cats with a 28-20 lead.

The final score of the game came on a time-consuming drive which began at midfield and featured Dixon on most of the ball carrying.

This capped with a one-yard plunge by Dixon with 1:13 remaining, for the 35-20 win over Hahnville.