Turnovers, drive keep pressure on for 33-23 win

Published 12:00 am Tuesday, November 30, 2004


Managing Editor

LAPLACE – Seemed every time St. Charles Catholic High’s Comets got a head of steam going Friday night, Lutcher was there with a turnover to open up the valves and take off the pressure.

Lutcher’s Bulldogs came awasy Friday night on top of a 33-23 win, headed for Amite in the semifinals.

In the first quarter, after having held Lutcher out of the end zone on a goalline stand at their own three, the Comets took over on downs and Bel Sellars opened with a short field goal with 3:24 left in the first quarter.

Lutcher did score on their next possession, capping a long, 11-play, 65-yard drive which ran into the second quarter and capped it with a two-yard run by Wayne Albert with 10:41 on the clock. The PAT by Terrence Jeffery was good for the 7-3 lead.

Lutcher recovered a St. chrles fumble after their kickoff reception and took over at the Comet 36-yard line.

Seven plays later, the Bulldogs penetrated and moved to a 14-3 lead after Jeffery Johnson scored on a 10-yard run with 5:49 on the clock.

St. Charles, however, did score once more in the first half. This came on their next possession, where they drove from their own 36 until Tyrell Fenroy scored on a one-yard run with 37 seconds left to the first half and a 14-9 score.

On the ensuing kickoff, Carlos Brown scored on the kickoff return, rambling 91-yards as he streaked up the visitors’ sideline and a 20-9 lead with 25 seconds left in the first half.

In the third quarter, St. Charles muscled down to the Lutcher 4-yard line, where they attempted a faked field goal on fourth down and a pass to Fenroy which fell short of a touchdown at the Lutcher two-yard line.

Lutcher took over on downs at their own two and powered back up the field, with Dustin Mitchell booming from the two to the St. Charles 43-yard stripe on the first play from scrimmage.

Six plays later, Lutcher scored with a pass from Mitchell to Johnson from 15-yards out and a 27-9 lead.

The Comets’ punt which ended their next possession launched the Bulldogs’ next drive which ended in a fumble recovery by Garrad Lodrigues at the Comet 12-yard line.

A pass to Matt Sutton nailed the TD with 1:33 left in the third quarter and the PAT made it a 27-16 ball game, but sitll with Lutcher in the lead.

St. Charles’s next possession ended in an interception by Carlos Brown which set up Lutcher’s next TD, this a 57-yard run by Dustin Mitchell with 5:26 remaining. The PAT made it 33-16.

St. Charles attempted to salvage their game, and scored with 4:41 remaining on a 29-yard pass to Fenroy. The PAT by Sellars was good for the 33-23 tally.

In the closing minutes, though, Lutcher slammed deep into Comet country but was forced to punt. Two plays later, with 2:42 remaining Mitchell intercepted to snarl that comeback try.

St. Charles recovered a fumble with 1:25 remaining at their own 11 but soon, with 29 second left, Kelvin Morris nailed the lid shut on the boxed game at the St. Charles 32-yard line.

Two kneeling plays later, Lutcher’s stands burst into victory cheers, and the Comets went home.