Lady Wildcats pick up district win

Published 12:00 am Friday, January 23, 2004

By George Mahl Sports Editor

St. James – It seemed like everytime the St. James Lady Wildcats tried to put away the St. Charles Catholic Lady Comets they could not. However, when St. James went to the foul line with 30 seconds left in the game, they made their free throws.

After Jaleesa Gair sank a free throw to tie the game 45-45, St. James’ Francis Jones was fouled and made both foul shots to give the Lady Wildcats the lead for good, 47-45.

Throughout the first half, it seemed that both teams were mirror images of each other. Neither team had more than a five point lead in either the first or second quarter.

With SCC up 7-2 early in the game, St. James went on a 6-0 run to give them an 8-7 lead with 3:16 to play in the first period. The Lady Comets, however, quickly responded when Brittany Vicknair made two free throws to give St. Charles Catholic a 10-9 lead with 1:24 to play in the first period.

The Lady Comets held a one point lead at the end of the first quarter.

With St. James leading 12-9 to start the second period, SCC outscored St. James 11-6 over the first 5:30 of the second quarter. Six consecutive points courtesy of Jenna Oncale gave the Lady Comets an 18-15 lead with 2:52 to play.

St. James, however, did rally to claim a 20-19 halftime lead.

The third quarter was back and forth with neither team holding an advantage over the other. Back-to-back three-pointers by St. James gave the Lady Wildcats a 30-26 lead with 3:25 left in the third quarter. The lead would not last long. After Vicknair sank a free throw, she made a three-point-play to tie the game, 30-30 with about two minutes remaining in the third quarter.

The biggest momentum swings by both teams happened in the final quarter.

With St. James leading 36-30 at the start of the fourth quarter, the Lady Comets ran off 10 consecutive points to give them a 40-36 lead with about five minutes to play.

Although St. James responded with a run of their own. Trailing 40-37, the Lady Wildcats went on an 8-0 run to give them a 45-40 lead with 1:48 left in the third quarter.