McGinnis being replaced as Orion CEO

Published 12:00 am Saturday, June 24, 2000

LEONARD GRAY / L’Observateur / June 24, 2000

NORCO – While the explosion and small fire at Orion Refining may have been easily controlled with no injuries, the replacement of Orion’s president and chief executive officer Glenn McGinnis could have greater impact.

McGinnis, currently serving as president of the United Way of St. Charles,will be replaced by Clark Johnson, as of July 10. The action was announced Thursday.

McGinnis said his replacement is not related to the accident, and he has asked to remain in St. Charles Parish at least through his United Way termof office. He was elected April 27 to that position.”He’s a wonderful leader in our community, and we hope he can stay forever,” commented Jara Roux, speaking for United Way.

Johnson joins Orion after eight years as president and CEO of Frontier Refining and Marketing Inc. He has 30 years of experience in the field.Baines Manning, Orion’s chairman of the board, commented, “He comes to us with the experience and expertise necessary to lead the company to the next level.”McGinnis was appointed two years ago to his present job and completed construction of the facility. A new catalytic cracker is due to go on line atthe plant in a matter of weeks, he said.

“Glenn is responsible for taking this facility a long way,” Manning added.

“Under his charge, we were able to complete construction of the refinery and bring it on line. His dedication, loyalty and professionalism is muchappreciated.”Local officials were stunned by the news. United Way Executive DirectorGeorge Williamson said McGinnis has been a leader in the past fund- raising campaign and will be sorely missed.

A small explosion and fire at Orion Refining Co. June 12 was apparentlycaused, McGinnis said, by a leak in the distillate hydrotreater released superheated diesel fuel, which ignited upon reaching the air.

The diesel, heated to 600 degrees, was having sulfur extracted from it as part of Orion’s refining operation when the explosion occurred at 5:45 p.m.The plant has been in low-grade operation for two years and is preparing to start full operation with their new catalytic converter next month.

Return To News Stories