Remember When

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, March 15, 2000

L’Observateur / March 15, 2000

The following events were recorded in the pages of L’Observateur this week in the history of the River Parishes.

1913 Dr. Oscar J. Ory, a prominent and esteemed dentist of Garyville, openedhis modern dentist office on the upper floor of the Woodmen of the World building at Laplace.

1924 March 23 a game of baseball, the first of the season, was to be played at the Community Club Park, Reserve, between the Godchaux Sugars, Reserve office, and the Godchaux Sugars, New Orleans office.

Lubin F. Laurent completed his History of St. John the Baptist Parishwith a chapter on current events.

1935 The marriage of Miss Nina Jacob, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Moise Jacob ofReserve, to Mr. Frank Guillotte, formerly of Napoleonville, was celebratedat nuptial mass in St. Peter’s Catholic Church. Ruston attorney Truett Scarborough announced his candidacy for governor.

1945 Ory J. Boudreaux of Reserve was awarded the Distinguished Flying Crossand promoted to captain for his achievements as a pilot of a B-26 bomber over Italy.

St. John Parish farmers were advised to spray their cattle because of aninfestation of cattle grub.

Pfc. Howard J. Audifferd from Reserve, who was fighting with the 25thInfantry Division in the Philippines was awarded the Combat Infantry Badge.

1955 Sugar workers at the Godchaux Refinery voted to terminate their contract and threatened to go on strike.

Well-known Lutcher dress designer Harrison Forsythe was killed when his car was hit by a passenger train.

Billie Marie Johnson of Fifth Ward High School in Reserve was named Homemaker of Tomorrow for making the highest score on her exams.

1965 The U.S. Post Office sought bids to construct a new post office inLaPlace.

The St. John Parish School Board submitted a desegregation plan to thefederal courts for approval.

According to salesman and developer Seymour Smith, 26 homes had been sold in the Carrolwood subdivision on Airline Highway.

1975: A 13-year old runaway from Baton Rouge drove a stolen car into the front door of a house on Fairway Drive.

The St. John School Board called for an election so it could issue $3million in construction bonds to build a new high school to relieve the overcrowded Leon Godchaux High School.

1985: The St. John Parish Council asked residents to approve a one-quartercent sales tax for road improvement.

Laid-off employees of the St. John Parish School Board accuse the boardof playing “dirty pool” and violating their contracts when they were layed- off.

1995: The St. John Parish School Board was ready to pull the plug on schoolhealth clinics program after gettting pressure from a community group concerned about sexually-related issues.

The Russel-Stanley Corp., headquartered in New Jersey and makers oflarge plastic containers, set up shop on W. 19th St. in Reserve.

Return To News Stories